Do You Think the Soul Is Immortal?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Oct 16, 2015.

1. erook7878

erook7878 Well-Known Member

I don't believe in souls. The soul is just our consciousness which is just the brain functioning consistently. Once the brain shuts off through death, that is the end of consciousness. I'd love to believe our consciousness is a "soul" and that it lives on forever, but none of our current understanding would suggest that to be true.

2. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

Soul is something we know little about really. We use the term quite often actually but do we realize what it represents or what it really is? I have no idea for instance. It is something abstract and mystically connected to our being and our body and mind. When we die some say we transform into energy that is soul maybe and we continue to live. Matter is indestructible and it just changes the shape. At least we were taught like that. I would really like to get into that question but and find some answers but till I do I think that soul is seen in our acting, loving and caring about nature around us. Respecting living things and their presence here. Serbian people are of Slavic ancestry and we are said to have a famous Slavic soul. It is a rather interesting thing and it is worth googling.

3. artyarson

artyarson Active Member

It's a nice and interesting concept of having a soul. I like it. However, I don't really believe in that. Some statements are very superficial and even dogmatic. That's not the way my brain works.

4. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

'Soul is immortal' that is spiritual level of experience, which can't be defined by words or discussion. My question, Who says, Soul is not immortal, what they did to check its truth or not ? they did any worship ? Soul concept start beyond thinking. In fact, In English, by definition Soul means 'Chitta' not 'Atman' (Swami Vivekananda said that in Great Britain). In western languages, many problems, some spiritual words in east, they don't have. for example, Celibate means unmarried or virgin. word 'Celibate' can't define definition of word 'Brahmacharya'. word Brahmacharya means 'following the truth' , not unmarried or virgin.

Atman is spiritual level, Buddhists, Jainism denies existence of 'Atman' but, that is word gambling too. nothing else. because at spiritual level words don't exist and their worships are different. but destiny of all is same. word 'Atman','Buddha', 'Tathagata' are different words but at spiritual level all are same. because, destiny is enlightenment.

once again, soul is immortal or not, never can be subject of discussion because, its beyond thinking and imagination.If you really want to prove Soul is not immortal then jump into sea, don't sit on bay and decide how much sea is deep.

5. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

In East, there is no word like 'Evil Souls' , By eastern definition soul is Gunatit,Shabdatit, dehatit, manatit, sarvatit etc. means Soul is beyond emotions,words,imagination,mind etc. In eastern definition soul is beyond everything and word 'evil souls' represent emotion , so that's not soul.

Question : Some think the evil souls will be destroyed at the end of the ages, another group thinks the souls of the dead have a special place where they live while another group believes souls live on either in eternal bliss or eternal suffering.

Answer : people who think that, they don't know proper definition and meaning of 'Atman'. they did nothing for enlightenment. so misinterpretation of words is natural.

Question : Christians, Muslims, Pagans and others can't seem to agree on this

answer : In Bible written, which i can dump down, I can wear that again. in which, Body considered as a cloth wore by soul.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  6. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

Man consists of body, soul and spirit. The body is the least important since it is temporary and rots when the soul which belongs to the spirit leaves. The spirit is the real you, more vivid than you can ever imagine! I won't go into the specifics which might spark controversy since I am not proselytizing but if a sinner dies, he or she (spirit and soul) goes to a holding place called Hades (temporary hell), a place full of incomprehensible catastrophe, holocaust and imbroglio. At the end of the time-space continuum, the sinners' body will be reunited with the body and soul and cast into the lake of fire and burning sulphur cataclysmically worse than Hades. For saints (and young children, as well as mentally unaccountable individuals), they go to a holding place of absolute bliss, ecstasy and rest (paradise) before finally being ushered into heaven on the Last Day. One important thing to note is that both destinies will last forever and ever.

7. remnant

Man consists of body, soul and spirit. The body is the least important since it is temporary and rots when the soul which belongs to the spirit leaves. The spirit is the real you, more vivid than you can ever imagine! I won't go into the specifics which might spark controversy since I am not proselytizing but if a sinner dies, he or she (spirit and soul) goes to a holding place called Hades (temporary hell), a place full of incomprehensible catastrophe, holocaust and imbroglio. At the end of the time-space continuum, the sinners' body will be reunited with the body and soul and cast into the lake of fire and burning sulphur cataclysmically worse than Hades. For saints (and young children, as well as mentally unaccountable individuals), they go to a holding place of absolute bliss, ecstasy and rest (paradise) before finally being ushered into heaven on the Last Day. One important thing to note is that both destinies will last forever and ever. These things will become more clearer in the fullness of time.

8. remnant

Man consists of body, soul and spirit. The body is the least important since it is temporary and rots when the soul which belongs to the spirit leaves. The spirit is the real you, more vivid than you can ever imagine! I won't go into the specifics which might spark controversy since I am not proselytizing but if a sinner dies, he or she (spirit and soul) goes to a holding place called Hades (temporary hell), a place full of incomprehensible catastrophe, holocaust and imbroglio. At the end of the time-space continuum, the sinner's body will be reunited with the body and soul and cast into the lake of fire and burning sulphur cataclysmically worse than Hades. For saints (and young children, as well as mentally unaccountable individuals), they go to a holding place of absolute bliss, ecstasy and rest (paradise) before finally being ushered into heaven on the Last Day. One important thing to note is that both destinies will last forever and ever. These things will become more clearer in the fullness of time.

9. obliviousme

obliviousme Member

I don't know but I'm leaning towards science when it comes to these things. I believe that my body organs are what's keeping me alive and breathing and when we die that's the end of it. Then again this reincarnation subject is a bit intriguing to me and i'm tempted to dig deeper into the subject if only to be disappointed of what i'll find out and i can finally say with certainly that science is the more rational explanation than these whole soul issue.