Do you think there will be a 3rd influential party in the near future?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by queenbellevue, Apr 6, 2015.

1. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

Or is the US stuck with the 2 party system?

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

For a really long time there have been only two main political parties in the U.S. The others parties — The Green Party, The Constitutional Party and Libertarians — have little influence and I don't think much will change in the near future.

3. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I am not seeing a third party appearing any time soon to be honest, why would it? I think that the two parties dominate and will not allow a third force to emerge.

4. Guy Wyer

Guy Wyer New Member

I wish, but don't see it happening. The special interests parties are just to promote their causes. When a 3rd Party does arise, it pulls votes away from the major party it's members would prefer and thus helps elect the candidate from the major party its members like less(see Ross Perot)

5. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

I think there's starting to be an increase in libertarians, especially with the younger generation. I could be wrong though.

6. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

The issue with the smaller parties is that they need to overcome huge pressures from the existing parties because no one wants to share power. It can happen, but some special event would have to occur.

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

As much as I want there to be another group in the mix I don't see it happening. Special interest groups won't back them with money. No way. That would be another billion dollars they would have to give up, 3 billion total in campaign contributions.

Most people just want to be with the two most popular fraternities on campus anyways. Twos a company, threes a crowd.

8. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I agree! I'm not in the rightest position to judge because I'm not from the US but the way I see it from afar, I think the US is doing just good with 2 major political parties. It has been doing well with just the 2 and it will continue to do so in the next coming years. The emergence of 1 or more additional party would only add more confusion among the people. That is how things are in my country and it could really get so irritating seeing all the faces of so many candidates vying for a slot in the government.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I'm not from the US. But to me it seems ridiculous that there are only 2 major parties. I mean... surely there are things that you absolutely hate about both of these parties? More choice is always good. Or maybe you have a very wide range of different types of candidates with different views from inside these parties?

10. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

Well the UK is finally moving away from the 2 party system, with our first coalition government in 2010, and almost certainly another one in 2015. I think it will take a lot longer for it to happen in the US though, at least 25 years.