Do You Use Share Price Moving Averages For Buy/sell Signals?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by longtermbull, Nov 30, 2016.

1. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

In the past I have used moving averages on graphs as good buy/sell signals, crossover points, etc.

Does anyone else use this strategy?

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I'll look at the moving addresses and the golden and death crosses but I find the RSI is a more useful indicator in my decision making. That said, TA is not my forte. I prefer to look at numbers. For some smaller caps I'll common-size 3-5 years of the balance sheet and income staremenrs as found in SEC documents

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

MA's don't really directly factor in much to my decisions to buy or sell.

Sometimes a stock dropping below or rising above its 50 or 200 day MA or whatever may trigger more than average amounts of buying or selling - particularly by the automated systems, HFT, etc...

If a stock suddenly sells off hard and looks appealing to me at the cheaper price, I may buy or buy more due to other factors (besides it's MA) I like about the stock - new cheaper price & price-related ratios, etc... Likewise, if a stock I own jumps up in price a great deal due to breaking out of its MA range, I may use that as an opportunity to take at least a little off the table.

Tags: