Do you vote?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Onionman, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Willl24_

Willl24_ Member

I'm really into politics and always vote on everything I can. I don't feel like it's my "duty" to vote, but as a very vocal/opinionated person I can't not vote because of my strong opinion on pretty much everything. I'm a very libertarian person and don't agree with state control, etcetera though.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I vote every time there is an election since you never know who you would see running in the oval office as president. Voting is there for that reason and you have to know who your leaders are. That is why I vote every time there is a election this way I am aware of who these people are.

3. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I've never donated to a candidate or party. I'm going to consider it for 2016 though. There are a few politicians I wouldn't mind throwing a few bones to. Wouldn't contribute to the party though. Don't trust them to spend it wisely.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I am not able to donate, but even if I could I would not do it. I feel that I am being enough ripped off already, so why pay them?!

5. tournique

tournique Well-Known Member

I wouldn't donate either, even If I support the candidate. They have way too much money flying around that they need.

6. Gelsemium

Does it really make a difference tournique? I mean, if I vote in the left or in the right they go to government and the lobbies still run the country...

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I think it's so silly not to vote. I understand that often times people vote for the lesser of two evils, but it's still better than not voting at all. Even if you vote third party, I think it's important for folks to take an interest, inform themselves on the issues and then vote. In 2008, I didn't care for either John McCain or Obama, and I still managed to get out and vote. For John McCain, just for the record. Probably the only time I've been tempted to vote 3rd party.

8. Gelsemium

Sure, for that reason I could, give my vote to someone to make an opposition, those are the ones that still speak honestly, but if they manage to get to the power they forget all that.

9. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I have found that contributing to the campaigns of local officials can be a very effective way to get them to really listen to me and even act in my best interests in many cases - as long as acting on my behalf is not something that will harm them, of course.

10. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Yes, I vote religiously. Does it help? Maybe, maybe not, but it is on part of our system in which "We the People" get to have our voices heard. I do contribute to some candidates if I think he/she is represents my ideals and will do well for our country. Others I just hold my nose and give them my vote. ;)