Does a Landlord deserve right of entry?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by dianethare, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Yes, I wondered about those wishy-washy "reasonable notice" laws. I'm thinking that to some landlords, 30 minutes may seem like "reasonable notice" so... not written well at all.

Speaking of... our tenant is starting to be a problem and I think the manager is going to have to do an inspection. It's really not a big deal *unless* there are problems with the house that he didn't report. It's in metro D.C. so finding someone else to rent won't be a problem for the manager, but finding out what all needs to be taken care of may not be very pleasant. Ugh!

2. wulfman

wulfman Guest

I remember in college the landlord told me I was using the washing machine too much. LMAO. I washed two loads of clothes once a week. But it wasn't actually an apartment. I rented her basement. Anyway rent went up a bit as there were no other prospective apartments in my price range at the time so I had to negotiate.

3. cmiller

cmiller Active Member

I think that there should be enough respect for the person living there than to just walk in at any time I think at least a 24hr notice would be nice. Just because you own a place does not mean you should do that to people. I think sometimes that people obtain a few pieces of property and their ego inflates a little bit.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Why...is he being a pain{tenant}...what has happened to me, i wouldn't wish on anyone,...what really ticks off in the minds of {some}tenants anyway?!...i always fail to understand...i hope all gets sorted out with no qualms {fingers crossed}.

5. dianethare

I agree with you cmiller...a 24hr notice will suffice :)

6. Kael

Kael Guest

I read that the request for entry into the property must be in the form of a letter, prior to the emergency. A friend of mine has several rental properties and she does Saturday inspections, every Saturday, for her properties. There should really be an structured agreement between the Landlord and Tenant.

7. dianethare

Thanks Kael...something i ought to factor in my agreement...inspections are deemed necessary...so in short the request only ought to be in writing huh?...no text messaging or phone calling.?

8. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I believe that a landlord has limited rights to go to the tenant’s home when it is occupied. The property is the tenants on hire for the period they have paid rent. If there is a problem with the housing then access can be granted to the landlord to investigate further. A tenant has a right to their privacy which can only be jeopardized by getting involved in illegal activities or going against the lease.

9. dianethare

With all due respect Muthoni i agree with what you've said...but still the landlord has right of way...only that this practice ought to be done in the most right and legal way...it should be done on a 24 hr written notice...this is for the purposes of inspections and repairs only.

10. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Speaking from my general knowledge of the Law, I can safely say that a Landlord only has the right of re-entry once the Tenant breaches a contractual term of the rental or lease agreement, whether the term be expressed or implied by conduct. Before the Landlord gives the right of possession of any Tenant, there are some ground rules which both parties to the contract much abide by, the Landlord has no legal possession over the land once he has rented it to an individual, although he/she still remains the legal owner. The Landlord is suppose to only visit the property when he notifies the Tenant that he is doing so, and must schedule an appointment if he is going to do repairs on the property, if the contracts stipulates that he should. Generally, when property is rented, you, the Landlord have given over all the legal rights of possession, not ownership, to another person, and ought not to infringe on that right.