Does a Landlord deserve right of entry?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by dianethare, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Good first post there Investor, welcome to the forum btw. No way the landlord would visit a tenant without scheduling an appointment, never heard of that as well.

2. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

In my Jurisdiction, the Law does protect the Tenant more than it protects the Landlord, so I will speak from that perspective. In my Country, the Law does not allow Landlords to go and enter the property that they leased before giving notice to the Tenant that they intend to do so, this principle is known as the principle of quiet enjoyment,insofar as Landlords can do this, they are only able to make appointments to visit the property when they plan to do inspection upon the property or repairs and should only do so when the Tenant is there, in other words, the Landlord cannot arbitrarily visit the property and conduct his own business without giving the Tenant proper due notice. If the Landlord breaches this principle, of course, he can be sued. Additionally, the Landlord can only can obtain the right to re-enter the property when the contractual period has expired, or when the Tenant breaches some expressed or implied provision of the contract. When a Tenant breaches some contract, it is for the Landlord to apply to the court to grant him compensation for the breach and the right to re-possess the property. I hope this is the same in your jurisdiction. All the very best.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Well put i might say...similar to the law that abides at the rent tribunal in my area...but sometimes i feel that the landlord/ladies ought to be protected by the law too when it boils down to deadbeat tenants.