Does anybody use the stock simulator at Investopedia?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by GeeCee, Jul 31, 2015.

1. GeeCee

GeeCee Member

Does anybody use the stock simulator at Investopedia? And if so, what do you think of the site as a whole for learning trading?

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I haven't delved into any stock simulation program, so no comments there. But I do find Investopedia to be useful for defining terms and providing examples where appropriate. (I'll use the site when watching detailed option or technical analysis discussions.) No web site is perfect or can be all things to all people, but its consIstency in design makes the website a good jumping off point.

If you are in the early stages of investing I would suggest choosing an online broker that also has one or more local storefronts. Some firms have inhouse courses. Lacking that, find a course at your community college or adult evening school.

If you look through this board you will find a number of discussion threads about the "best book" to read to get started in investing et al. Perhaps these threads may help. Fundamentals don't change, so don't forget your local library as a resource.

HTH. YMMV.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with baudwalk. Good books from guys like Benjamin Graham and others are a great place to start. And I find a stock screener to be a very valuable tool to find companies with things like very favorable PE and PEG ratios; explosive growth and accelerations in earnings, revenues, and margins; high returns on equity, etc.