Does Anyone Have The Right To Rename The Moon?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

A Utah campaign wants the International Astronomical Union to rename the moon arguing that the moon "is ours" not theirs [the IAU's]. And what exactly will change if the moon is renamed? If anyone wants to call the moon by any other name they can do that.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/277830/a-mysterious-group-in-utah-is-trying-to-rename-the-moon/
    What do you think of this campaign?

2. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Hmmm... I don't think it will really make a significance if we change the name of our moon to a new one. Our ancestors have always been using that name and we as a people have also been used to the name ever since we were children so I don't think we really have to change it to any other name. Anyone can have their own terms to call it though, I mean we're all free to call it whatever we want. :)

3. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

The moon is such a simple generic term. This reminds me of Dispicable Me. It's just silly nonsense.

4. Penny

Penny Well-Known Member

Its just some random person starting a campaign page. I am sure there are are million stupid proposals in there put up by drunken students or people with nothing better to do. Let's elect a goldfish president, or make the unicorn the official animal of New York! Etc. Even if they decided to give our moon a "proper" name like other moons have, nobody would use it. In a way not having one reinforces that it is our most important moon who needs not further explanation. Like Cher.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Why would you want to change it? I mean the whole thing makes no sense. The moon is what it has been called for centuries, and it is a simple generic term that everyone understands. Hey, lets put it this way, if people want to change the name of the moon, let them,..but I bet people will still call it the moon. It is just the name it has been always been known by.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I think calling it *THE* Moon is just fine. I can see tha argument for it needing another name because all moons are moons. But I guess this is also a good history lesson for the future generations... it's THE moon because back in the day our civilisation didn't realise that there were other moons around.

It's the same for the Sun. There are a million suns but this is *THE* sun. Because it's the first one that we noticed.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Huh, I guess I see their point. But I think we call the moon, the "moon" just because it is our moon. It's the moon we see and the moon we've come to understand. It's the first moon that we have discovered. It's the moon that stories have been built into. So even if they think it's a generic name, it still has a lot of meaning and history unto it. And that for me, makes the moon more than just a generic name. Because it has been with us every single day we were born and even before that.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

No, I don't think anyone has the right to rename The Moon. No one owns it, to my knowledge. I don't see why anyone would be able to rename it. Seems a bit silly to me. I don't see why anyone would want to rename it anyway. Seems like a fruitless endeavor and a waste of time to me. One organization shouldn't get naming rights to it, that's for sure.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Whoever wants the moon to be renamed can within their "circles" call it whatever name they want to. In any case they are only a small group of people and what of those who may not want the moon to be renamed. Would there be a vote to decide whether the moon gets a new name? Some people have too much time on their hands IMHO.

10. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Do anybody will ask moon, which name he will like ? hahaha
    what is in a name ? after all. Everything exists in who you are. human got so greedy,He is claiming right over moon too. hahaha he forgot, only 12Sq. feets or less, he will get after death, If he is lucky (In my country burn body after death, so we don't have right over 12Sq.feet too) and until he is alive, only his own body and mind, he can claim his right over that only. some people like to waste time and life in claiming rights over everything. nobody can do anything against them. If that's their dream world. what to do ? language is made for us. we are not made for language. what difference will it make if name of moon changed or not ? and why do i take any objection against them ? If it's part of their research, I can live with that and even it's not part of research, I don't have time to condemn them.