Does Anyone Have The Right To Rename The Moon?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Feb 25, 2016.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

It's when I hear of campaigns like this, I think that too many people have too much time on their hands and need to get a grip on reality.

The world is in a worse financial position than what it as been for a number of years. The treat if terrorism is at its highest it's ever been, and we could potentially be on the verge of world war 3.

So forgive me if I'm not overly concerned about joining a campaign to give the moon a different name. Even if it did change it would always be known as the moon, so maybe they should put their time to something more useful!

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The moon doesn't belong to anyone; it's part of the Universe. People need to spend their time on more constructive things in life. I would probably suggest the person who thinks this needs to have a psych evaluation.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There's someone who actually claimed the moon and sell plots to willing buyers.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/03/25/meet-the-man-who-owns-the-moon
    He also "owns" Pluto which will cost any buyer $250,000.

Come to think of it though, when space travel is possible, there'll be nations claiming land on other planets.

5. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Ok, My question is, what if aliens exists ? If they have economy too and like humans, they already claimed their rights on planets which humans or mr.Hope claimed ? how Mr. Hope will deal with these aliens ? and ,If Aliens from another ****** or earth attacked on his planets moon and pluto ? How he will payback money to customers ? If he is willing to payback in $, I don't think any customer will accept that . If he is ready to payback in Gold, Silver, Platinum etc. i think, then it will work. because, paper currency's worth is nothing more than a tissue-paper.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

It's the same with this buying and naming a star fad. The reality is that no one can physically own any of these things in nature. I mean who did he pay the money to, and do they have title deeds? Did they make then up and file them where?

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Talk about how a fool and his money are easily parted!

If it's that easy, I now officially claim that I own Saturn AND it's rings. Does anybody want to buy an acre of Saturn or a ring off me? I'm sure I could come up with a very good price...

8. BuddFoxx

BuddFoxx Member

"To the Moon" who the hell wants to stop saying that when a stock 1 has goes up.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

I am not really sure why my mind jumped to this, but I wonder if North Korea has tried to do something like this. It seems like something that would be right up their alley, but maybe I am just thinking a little too outside the box. I would assume that someone out there can change it, I mean they did take planet away from Pluto.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well first of all, space travel is possible. We have done it many times.
    But there are actually treaties in place that state that governments can't claim celestial bodies as their own. Now whether or not those treaties will be respected or not in the future is a completely different matter. But I would like to believe that once we start populating the solar system (assuming we ever get that far) these little things called countries would, at some point, merge into one nation known as the earth.