Does Rand Paul have a shot at winning, or is he an electoral liability like his father?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by chrisanswer, Sep 10, 2015.

1. spaceboytaylor

spaceboytaylor Active Member

I think with this election cycle, a mix of Trump headlines and the crazy number of republican candidates has made it so a decent majority of the candidates have basically already lost. I don't really see Christie, Rubio, Paul, Huckabee, Graham, Jindal, Pataki, Kasich, Perry, Santorum, Gilmore, and Fiorina even having a chance to catch up enough to be a major player in the primaries. This primary fight seems to be very much Trump/Carson/Bush with a little bit of Cruz. That's just how it's looking for me at least.

2. Oropherion

Oropherion Member

I want to say that it's never too late and anything can happen, but realistically, as many others have said, he really doesn't stand much of a chance. Then again, I didn't think Donald Trump would have a serious chance for the Republican Nomination a few weeks ago either. Maybe he'll do something big enough to put him at the top of the polls. Maybe not. In any case, he's not nearly as photogenically meme-ready as his father was ;). I never cared much about him anyway.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

To be honest I think it's maybe too early to say as while he does seem to have some support, trump at the moment is the one making all the headlines, good and bad, and as we all know, it tends to be the candidate that grabs the headlines the most that wins the race.

Policy and getting things done quietly and effectively are all well and good, but people also want to see a bit of charisma aswell and I think that might be what lets Paul down in the end.

4. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

Rand Paul Surpasses Trump and Fiorina, Wins Michigan Straw Poll
    truthinmedia.com/rand-paul-wins-michigan-straw-poll/

Rand Paul - 22%
    Carly Fiorina - 15%
    John Kasich - 13.8%

Let's hope this gives a boost to not just Rand Paul for John Kasich as well

5. Oropherion

Oropherion Member

That's really the unfortunate thing too. Politicians get just as hyped up as celebrities do nowadays, though I can't say I know what it was always like, I've only recently begun to notice it these past few election seasons. Hell, Donald Trump is just another celebrity too. Good policies and ideas fall by the wayside if the person who holds them isn't sensational enough.

6. chrisanswer

chrisanswer Member

Rand polls so badly at the moment. His campaign didn't really get started. His father wasn't very popular and only got 4.8% of the vote last time he ran. Rand is very radical and I don't think that appeals to Americans and he's become involved in this republican pre-occupation of white identity politics, which is not a vote winner. I think most Americans think he's crazy when he talks about tax being like slavery and his flat tax will increase the deficit. All in all - no chance.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Like Rand a lot. I think he's an upstanding person with great character. Think his heart is in the right place, and he's extremely humble for a politician. That being said, pretty disappointed with his campaign so far. It's not being ran very well at all. It doesn't seem to have much of a focus or purpose right now. He needs to really have a big moment in a debate and find two or three issues to really rally behind or he's not going to go far at all.

8. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I don't see him in the seat. I know it's early but he's not popular or significant enough to get votes. Anyway he's still young maybe in the future he'll get his shot.

9. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;_reboXoPeC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_reboXoPeC8[/video]

Rand Paul doing his job and focusing on the real matters at hand.
    Instead of out on the trail making jabs at Hillary, or getting into a twitter war with Fox News, he's doing his job reminding us of all the BS we hired our congressmen to stop.

Alas I think the old saying "It's the economy stupid!" has been replaced with "Everyone sucks but me!"

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

You'll never, ever hear a Democrat talk seriously about cutting any of the (83% of non-defense) govt spending these days. It goes completely against their belief system.

Of course it's not much better that fewer and fewer Republicans have any desire to go against this spending these days.