Does The Law Of Moses Still Apply?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The reason why Christianity spread very fast was because Paul had new message for everyone who wanted a religion which promised life eternal to all believers. His message was simple, all you must do is believe Jesus is the Messiah. That was all. We are saved by faith alone. This gave converts the impression that they didn't have to keep the laws in order to be saved. But then we have some examples of people who didn't keep the law but were saved anyway. Cornelius is one example, the thief on the cross another. There's also Nebuchadnezzar.

There are Christians who believe that the laws of Moses are to be followed only by Jews. So if there's a different set of laws which gentiles keep which ones are they? Or do they cherry pick which laws to keep and which ones they don't?

2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I find that most people pick and choose which laws they want to keep or follow, and those they feel apply to them. That's why I don't claim to be anything, but I take what beliefs that resonate with me only. Many people now brush over certain laws, especially in regards to relationships these days because morals seem more acceptable and flexible in some societies.

In today's society it would be hard to lead a life guided by the biblical laws alone, as the rule of law is what is considered what is legally acceptable or not.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

When I went through my spell of going to church, I got talking with my dad and the vicar there and we got on the subject of living life by way of the ten commandments and they were both of the opinion that modern life cannot be followed by the commandments to the tee, I think it was said. But they also said that as long as you live your life with god in your heart, then you will be accepted.

It was an interesting conversation.

4. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

We are supposed to keep the 10 commandments, but Jesus said we are no longer under the bondage of the law. All you have to do is read Romans and Galatians and it will show you. Jesus said the greatest commandment is to love the Lord with all our hearts minds and strengths. Christians don't pick and choose. We just know what the bible says.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The verse, please? Jesus did say He didn't come to abolish the law.
    So Christians who say some laws were abolished and others weren't aren't being entirely honest. What I do recall though is the addition of a new commandment to the old ones.
    A law which no one keeps.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Upon reading this thread I looked up the 10 Commandments and to be honest not many of them are adhered to in light of materialism today. Everyone covets something that someone else has, and people that have multiple divorces and sites like Ashley Madison, people no longer value those laws. It's a case of society saying 'well everyone is doing it, so what difference does it make?'

Does it say that society is immoral? Maybe because those laws are not officially illegal (although adultery is still illegal in some US states and other countries), that society has made them acceptable and are no longer considered immoral by the masses.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Religion is not that simple - believe in Jesus since He is the truth, the way and the life. Just like life, religion is a complicated matter. Worse, the religious groups like Christians, Muslims and even Buddhists make it more complicated with their different beliefs. But come to think of it, all those religion are pointing to one and the same objective, that is to go to heaven (in different interpretations). Having an eternal life is the wish of 99.99% of the people and that's what makes religion the best-selling business.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

But should people choose for themselves what they feel is right and what isn't. Think of the ten commandments and other laws like the penal code. If the penal code states that something is wrong and punishment will be meted out to anyone who breaks a certain law even if the masses don't think it is their opinion doesn't matter. Either they keep all the laws or they don't because breaking one would still get them in trouble.

9. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I really think that people should live their life in the way they see fit if they do not feel like following the 10 commandments, and I believe that if there is a god then he will accept you regardless of if you follow the commandments or not, but as long as you have lived a good live and done good things not only for yourself but for others too.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I do feel that the laws (in society) should be tailored around what protects people and what doesn't restrict freedom and rights. Here, we are talking about western democracies as other countries have much more stringent laws. I think as long as it's not illegal then people should live how they want as long as they don't harm others.

It's hard in the case of adultery as divorces are so common these days, and infidelity is not seen as illegal (although in some US states it still is officially) and there is harm done. That's why state laws are paramount; each state in the US has their own laws which is why federal laws are not encouraged, and when the have to abide by them, states try to find a way around them.