Does Trump really want to be president??

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by norms options, Aug 16, 2015.

1. petesede

petesede Guest

I mostly agree with this.. my biggest question is why is he going after immigration so strongly? He is smart enough to know that it will kill the Republicans in the national election. I am not a tin-foil hat person.. but he close ties to the clintons do make this seem like he is sabotaging the Reps.

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Just a few hours ago he said he promises to get all illegal immigrants out of the USA. That should be interesting. A final crack down and getting them to leave should be a sight to see.

He looks serious about being the president. He has made monumental verbal f*ck ups in the past month. He has pissed off Latinos, immigrants and illegals, and women from those comments about someone having their period. But hes still leading in the republican polls.

3. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

That last statement hits hard with my own line of thinking. The fact that he is not a career politician is a giant plus in my book. In order to make any type of effective changes, we need to focus on voting out the incumbents. I'm really glad you brought this point up, and I can say that his agenda is very enticing and aligns with the issues on the top of my list.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I really don't understand what Trump's appeal is. Is it the fact that he rails hard against illegal immigration? I guess. But what's the appeal beyond that? He's been on every side of every major issue. There seems to be a major lack of principles. In addition to that he's a super rich guy who has donated money to politicians in order to curry favor with them. He's a major crony capitalist. Hopefully his 15 minutes of political fame are up soon.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I do not think he seriously wants to be president. He is trying to put himself in the spotlight and this is the best way he could figure out how to do it. I for one do not take him seriously and feel that it is just a matter of time before he drops out of the race.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

And that says more about the state of the Republican party than it does about Trump. Pretty soon the Republican Party will be two rednecks from Texas pointing at each other calling each other a RINO.

And tell me, you think anyone can win if they piss off women, blacks and Latinos?

7. petesede

petesede Guest

I agree with you on most of this.. but why would you expect a guy to drop out when he is polling at twice the levels of the next highest guy. This is a trainwreck, but it is going to be one that lasts at least until Super Tuesday. Walker and Bush have absolutly nothing exciting about them.. they are both boring guys and so while I think Bush gets the nomination, he is never going to dominate early.

The only way Trump drops out is if the establishment an FoxNews really go after him, and they will not do that because he will run as a 3rd party candidate. He is a dog they cannot muzzle, they just need to wait until he gets tired of barking.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The energy of Trump in his Derry, NH, press conference ongoing as I write this certainly doesn't look like he is just gaming the system. He seems really engaged with the reporters, challenging the reporters to ask serious questions. If nothing else Trump makes this drawn out nomination process interesting. Otherwise I don't think many people would be paying much attention until much closer to the Iowa primary next year. Where this all goes is yet to be seen. Trump's Town Hall is about to start (on Fox News if nowhere else). Jeb Bush is now speaking in Merrimack, NH, and it is plodding at best... Zzzz.. oh, yes dear, I'm awake... hic. Giddyup.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

10. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

I think Donald Trump got into the presidential race as a publicity stunt but then it turned out to be serious and he actually has a chance. The fact that he has manipulated the media to always be covered than most Republican candidates is an advantage to his side. Turn on the news right now and you will hear Donald Trump did this, Donald Trump did that. It is almost like advertising and believe me, he gains new followers everyday. Not to forget that if he runs independently then he will help Hillary Clinton split the Republican votes.

Tags: