Double mortgage

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Gelsemium, Jun 11, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Having too much debt can be quite a predicament if income ever decreases, becomes irregular, or dries up for whatever reason. Not something to take lightly.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Having a double mortgage is a double whammy and I would not want to pay for both mortgages. Its a disastrous case when it happens. I remember watching a episode a couple years ago of the show "House Hunters" and one guy said he was not moving out of the current house he was living so he would not get a double mortgage.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I never really got the idea behind a double mortgage anyway. You get your first one to buy the house... ok that's normal. But what is the second one for, seeing as the house is already paid for? I can imagine some things such as unexpected damage that requires repairs etc but surely, in the very large majority of these cases, you could finance the repairs with a small debt that would be paid back in a few months. So I don't see how this would become a long term situation for anyone.

then again, most people have their own personal finances in such a mess that I don't know how they have made it this far.

4. Hedonologist

Hedonologist Well-Known Member

Getting a second mortgage is something rare in the UK too. I do wonder why people do this. Surely by the time one has a mortgage free house their expenses reduce significantly. I would not risk repossession by taking out a second mortgage.

5. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I have a very close friend who had a double mortgage. She came by our office one Saturday morning so that she could write a letter to the bank because the interest on her double mortgage had increased by thirty percent. She is one of the luckiest people I know because she received a lump sum that helped her clear her mortgages. Her house is now completely hers; I hope that it remains that way.

6. JR Ewing

ARMs are dangerous.

7. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I do not understand why people would ever pay double mortgage. I think it is quite a great burden to keep paying double mortgage. A lot of people would never prefer to do such a thing. I do not think it is encouraged in many countries.

8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

That's easy to say shilpa, people get desperate and make crazy moves. One mortgage is dangerous already, so getting a second one is insane IMO.

9. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

I am with you Gel, how can people really make such moves unless they are desperate? I think we should not spend more than we have and that's it.

10. JR Ewing

I can remember many years ago when I was a mortgage broker where the lender would often break the purchase loan down into two seperate mortgages - a main loan and a smaller one. I believe this was done by lenders in certain situations where the buyer was riskier and little or nothing to put down.