Down payment grants

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by Rosyrain, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Does anyone know where I could apply for a grant for a down payment on a house? I have heard that you can qualify for grants to help out with the down payments, but I am having a hard time finding information online. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Glcameron

Glcameron Well-Known Member

If you're searching for a grant to purchase a home you might want to check with your local housing authority. And there are actually quite a few grand that are offered through the state and national grants. I tend to look for my grants by researching local investment companies or by speaking to someone at my local bank because it makes it a lot easier for me to be able to find what I would actually qualify for especially when it comes down to home grants their very particular about what they want to hear the criteria.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

All depends on where you live. Get in touch with the locals, talk to real estate agents etc. If you are planning on buying a house then surely any real estate agent would be glad to help you out. ;)

4. joelvoss63

joelvoss63 New Member

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this is something I've tried to find the answer to as well. My great great grandparents were migrants who were given land grants prior to Texas joining the union. I was told that up through the 5th generation were granted special rights as minority migrants, and qualified for benefits much like Native Americans. I've tried researching, and have spoke to Realtors, but have yet to find the answer. I know it's out there, and hopefully someone can point us in the right direction.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I found a local agency that will give you a down payment loan up to $30k that we might qualify for, but we have to go through a home financing class. You do not have to pay the loan off until you sell, you pay off the house, or refinance. It is an option, but we are not interested in a loan, we want to see if we can get an actual grant. I am going to look around the federal websites to see if there is something else.