Easier to buy a gun than it is to buy vegetables...

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ally79, Mar 6, 2015.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

I believe the President was discussing the issue of purchasing guns in a particular context. You do have way too many criminals and individuals with mental health issues getting access to guns. It shouldn't be allow and the background checks must be more strict to prevent some people from getting guns. I see nothing wrong with what the President said and he was right. It appears nowadays, anyone can work their way around the system to get a gun when they shouldn't own one. Am I against gun ownership? No. I am for responsible and mentally stable individuals owning a gun. I am against the idea of anyone getting their hands on a gun with an intention to cause harm to other individuals.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Goofy comment by Obama. Doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Like most of the things he says, it's designed to appeal to less informed people and his left wing base. Has little factual basis for what he's saying. Anyone who wants a gun is going to be able to get their hands on one. Regardless of how many rules or regulations you put in place.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Maybe it is somehow{to buy a gun than veggies}...the access to guns is quite easy...blackmarket maybe...hence the said comment from Obama...{maybe how the comment was structured is a bit off} :(

4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

That argument does not even make sense to me, even though it is meant to be figurative. Unless a person is dealing with an underground market of some sort, it is much harder to get a gun now than it used to be. You have to go through a bunch of paperwork and background checks. Is there something I don't understand?

5. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I guess it's his way of promoting gun control in the US. But just as what have been mentioned in other topics, gun control is not the lone solution in preventing crimes related to shooting. There are still many factors to consider such as the regulation on selling guns and the solving of illegally smuggled ones.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

In a literal sense it sounds really stupid. How can purchasing a gun be easier then purchasing a vegetable? That's insane. First of all you need money. Some people don't even have that.

He was referring to gun control like the title of the thread suggested. But I still don't understand how he came even close to that conclusion, poetically, theoretically, or even jokingly aside. It just sounds dumb in every which way possible.