Ebola? ISIS?! What's REALLY Behind Wall Street’s Volatility?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by GoldenPhi, Oct 22, 2014.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Should be interesting to see what type of day we on Wall Street today. Market has been up and down in the past couple of weeks. It appears to be back on the upswing, but we shall see what transpires going forward. Hopefully we don't see any irrational down turns and the market continues on it's upward trajectory.

2. twinsmommy31

twinsmommy31 Active Member

I would think the Market is going to do what its going to do regardless of Ebola or ISIS. Someone at the head of all this is meant and will continue to make money. The market will go up and then it will go down. Does what's going on in the news have to have a major affect on this?

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I don't know if it's exactly like that twins, everything affects the market, even more big events like ISIS and Ebola. If this is made on purpose? I really can't tell.

4. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

If those fluctuations cannot be contributed to those political and medical crises then why are the oil prices still fluctuating? If the markets are not responding then why does Gold continue to fluctuate?

Now, if those crises do not matter then I want to hear the Ebola song!

5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I doubt that Ebola ever affected wall street that much, people will always blame it on anything that they feel like blaming it on, whether it is true or not, they will still do what they want.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

One of my favorite lines from a movie is in MIB after Will Smith blows up a street and Tommy Lee Jones yells at him.. Will Smith says ´but there is a tavarion battle cruiser about the blow up the earth´.. and TLJ calmly says´there is always a tavarion battle cruiser, or something else about to blow up the earth´.

At any given point in history, there is always some war, some health crisis, some natural disaster that ´could´be scaring the market. AIDs, SARs etc etc.

One thing to keep in mind, and most mainstream reports don´t understand this ( or just ignore it to make their titles more sensational) is that the higher the the Dow is, the bigger the point swing will normally be. What is most important is the % swing, which haven´t been abnormal. Yes, we have had more 300 point swings in the last year. but that is meaningless.

7. Kmac2006

Kmac2006 Member

Oil is responsible