Elizabeth Warren says the U.S. economy is rigged. Many conservatives agree. Opinion?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ash2014uk, Jun 28, 2014.

1. ash2014uk

ash2014uk Well-Known Member

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has built a sizable political profile — including the requisite presidential speculation — by espousing a simple idea: that the system is "rigged" against average Americans.

And you might be surprised who agrees with her: A whole bunch of conservatives.

According to a new Pew survey, 62 percent of Americans think that the economic system unfairly favors the powerful, and 78 percent think that too much power is concentrated in too few companies. The discontent isn't limited to those who share Warren's liberal ideology; 69 percent of young conservative-leaning voters and 48 percent of the most conservative voters agree that the system favors the powerful, according to Pew.

Although Warren seems an outlier in the legislative branch for her fiery discontent with inequality — and the role she says Wall Street plays in exacerbating it — the Pew survey suggests that the vast majority of Americans are at least open to her underlying premise.

Everyone, that is, except business conservatives. This faction has vastly different views of the American economic system than most Americans. Two-thirds of business conservatives think the economic system is fair to most people, and 57 percent think that large companies do not have too much power.

The demographics that bind business conservatives go a long way toward explaining why they diverge on this issue. The business conservatives that Pew surveyed were the most affluent of the seven political types they defined — 45 percent have family incomes above $75,000. Fifty-seven percent of business conservatives say they are interested in business and finance, and 68 percent invest in the stock market. No other type has them beat on these two measures.

2. turt

turt Guest

Well, people have no idea how others live. They're sheltered from reality. Little do they know that they have better schools and opportunities than others, the ability to go to college from parents' money, gain connections at top jobs because they were born into it...

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Life is not fair. Never has been. And any attempts by government to make it so will be disastrous to those who are governed.

I learned a long time ago that I would never run the 100 meters in anywhere near 10 seconds or less, and that I could never be a pro athlete. Some people are better connected than me, and some are smarter. Once you come to the realization that there are certain things you can't do as good as others, you just need to focus on what you can do as good or better than others and make at least one of those strengths pay off for you.

Those who were born into or married into advantageous situations will probably have an easier time succeeding in most cases, but that just means that others have to work harder.

4. preyy

preyy Well-Known Member

We have no power to change the decision of the people who rule our lives. We can just hope for the best.

5. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I think no one can fight that statement because in fact the average person works all it's life and the possibility to rise above the average are minimal. While we don't fall bellow the average I can't really complain though.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Talk is cheap. Anyone who wants to get in power will always identify something which they think they can fix. They'll make pledges but they never deliver on their promises. No one should trust a politician or at any time delude themselves that a certain politician cares about them. They don't. That's why the system will never change.

7. Taki

Taki Active Member

I totally agree with the statement that the market is rigged against the average person and the social scientific research being done by a number of the best universities in the world agree as well.

Its pretty easy to see once you look at it from this perspective. Producers are acting in a democratic fashion where they can price their products as they see fit. In many industries, buyers have little choice in whether to buy or not buy if they wish to continue to live in a first world fashion. Examples would be food, energy, fuel, housing, etc... Whereas labor has little choice in setting their wage. That is generally at the mercy of the producers. Business is acting in a democratic fashion while the people at least here in America are still governed by a constitutional republic.

The one thing that can reign in business, regulation, is frowned upon as government intervention or interference with the free market. Well let me tell you - the free market is not free and capitalism is not fun unless you have capital. Those who live off wages have little or no capital to actually engage in capitalism or the free market. They are living hand to foot just trying to survive. You actually have no idea what some people are having to do to survive in this so called free market world we have created and apparently worship.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

A perfect example of the rags-to-riches American Dream at its finest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Hamm

Life is not easy, and to be exceptional is even less so. But there is so much opportunity still in this country. And if you're poor, a minority, etc, you can get all sorts of money given to you by the government to go to college, start a business, etc.

You won't likely get rich with the 9 to 5 hourly worker, boss-owes-me-a-living, govt-owes-me-a-living mentality. You have to think like an owner and become one.