Equality vs Religion

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

The white and black being mentioned is part of God's plan to make things in this world un-uniformed. What is the world going to be when everything is the same? People of the same color and height and weight and even faces, they are all smooth-skinned, pretty and handsome, that would be boring. Variety is what we have in the world so equality is never achieved. In fact, what I believe is that this world is meant to be unfair since we can see injustice everywhere.

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I believe that the world never was meant to be unfair. Christians believe that the world was created perfect but things changed when Adam was kicked out of Eden. Soon after the first murder on earth was committed and things got progressively worse. If the world was meant to be unfair then there'd be no need for redemption because the world unfair as it is now would perfect.

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

The thing is society values have changed since the bible, but equality, true equality eludes us all still. Not only in gender, class or even how people perceive one another. People still strive to be better than others, and maybe it's a human trait?

Can humans ever really be equal? Across all cultures we know it's not possible, where in Asian cultures women will always be treated as lower class and traded in marriages and the like as servants.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

As long as the trait of greed exists then I do not think that there will ever be true equality. I don't know if it's the same thing or not but how many times have you see a flash car and thought that you'd love that, or anything for that matter.

I think this is a quote from that book Animal Farm that sums up equality very accurately - "we are all equal, but some are more equal than others".

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

That's really the sad thing about our messed up society and morals, equality is hard to come by. No matter how you put it, you will always be treated according to your social status, race or gender. Imagine, sometimes I go to malls wearing simple clothes, salesladies either look at me with vigilant eyes or don't notice me at all. My husband lived in the US for a while and he said that racism is still very rampant in there. And then there's the gender issue, which we are all too familiar with. Where and how can we be equal people? That's the question, isn't it?

6. danben

danben Member

In my mind this is the failure of these peoples specific faith and beliefs. Religion does preach love and equality. Love our neighbor means to love everybody and treat them as you would like to be treated.