Europe doing better than few weeks ago

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by WaveWage, Sep 12, 2015.

1. WaveWage

WaveWage Well-Known Member

This week, Europe stocks did better. So much better they got the biggest weekly win since July. Taking example of the Stoxx Europe 600, who fell of 1% within the only day Friday, they rose of 0.7% on the week, and this is the biggest weekly score since Greece and EU found an agreement. DAX 30 rose of 0.9%, CAC 40 rose of 0.6% for the week, FTSE 100 did 1.2%.
    The problem of Friday was mainly caused by telecommunications industry, according to the news.
    Why Europe rose that much? Did the "China fall" was that big in Europe? Or rather, other positives phenomena are happening? If yes, where? And the performance of Friday was more because markets wait the Fed, or because of telecoms?

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

One week is a ridiculously short time frame and lots of small issues that have nothing to do with the condition of the said company/index/country/continent/ can swing it either way. Ignore the noise and concentrate on the long term view. :)

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Many US-based value investors have been finding opportunities to buy good companies on the cheap in Europe, Japan, Canada, and other places lately.

4. Nox

Nox Guest

The markets are all out of kilter at the moment. I think the markets are just very desperate for a little bit of good news, or at least a sense of direction. While it is definitely a positive move, I wouldn't read too much into that upward swing. Would you not say that this is mainly a partial reversal of the negative overreaction in the market?

It would be quite interesting to see how much these stocks are currently under-valued and by how much. I definitely agree with the post above that part of it is also investors finding some good stocks at cheap prices

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think the markets are going through a period of fluctuation and what happened in Europe just proves that. Massive highs ollowed by massive lows, but while it might take a little while longer yet to settle down, I think when it does it will be more favourable than what it was before.

6. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Assuming you have a tablet or smartphone, the Bloomberg Business app is the easiest way to look at the Asia markets' indicies and the Europe-Africe-Middle East futures during the 9 pm-Midnight hours Eastern time, Sundays-Thursdays. Look at two screens in the app, and you have all the numbers.I typically look 2 or 3 times during fhe course of an evening while silly TV commercials are on, or wherecver I may out. The Americas futures numbers start to show life around the time the European markets open, typically 2 or 3 hours after Midnight. A surprise to me, the app is consistently quicker to reference than through the Bloomberg web site

See more on current new sources : http://www.bullmarketboard.com/threads/5967-How-do-you-follow-the-latest-news-on-the-markets

HTH. YMMV.

7. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

With the right tools and knowledge it's always more accessible these days to find good deals. Of course these are never risk free, but if we don't invest we don't win.

8. WaveWage

WaveWage Well-Known Member

I know one week is a short piece of time, and I don't intend that Europe is doing better as a whole talking about the economy. I just barely mean that Europe seems to do better than it done this week. Why I focus on that then?
    Because, actually, I think it is also the investor's work to follow every day and every week news. Sure, then, we talk about little movement than anything big, but it is still interesting to have a global view of why these fluctuations are happening. So in fact, you are all right when you say market is a lot fluctuating these days, but it is not like this often, after all?