Exorcisms

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

They are not as common as they used to be in the past but from time to time you'll hear stories of an exorcism. And it isn't just Christians who think exorcism can cure a number of maladies, not just mental illness. The Muslims have their own version of exorcism which breaks hexes or drives away djinns that have possessed someone.

Do you think we should have more exorcisms to treat mental illness if there is a possibility the person might be possessed?

2. nytegeek

nytegeek Well-Known Member

You may as well break out the leeches and start bleeding people to reduce fevers. Why would anybody want to set the care and treatment of mental health back so far by doing this? I don't believe for a minute that exorcisms are a widely excepted practice among most Christians or Muslims, I'm sure it is a very small minority if and where it happens. Can you qualify your statements or cite any legitimate sources?

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I don't believe in exorcisms, I believe that people can be influenced by others, but an exorcism isn't that answer. Many mental issues are biological or deep rooted issues that people don't want to face. Sometimes people would rather blame the supernatural than to take responsibility for their own actions, or accept there are defects.

4. SandyM

SandyM Well-Known Member

What are these illnesses? I would assume that if someone wanted to perform an "exorcism," they are trying to get a demon out that they think possessed someone. My thoughts would be, well what would stop the demon from simply going back in? Lol. Or simply taking up residence in the next person? I do hope if someone suffers from mental illness that they are able to see the right person and fight through it. I always feel bad because if you are not right in the head, you're missing out on the positive things happening in life and being with the people you love. Maybe it's because it's New Years and I'm feeling sentimental, but it matters.

5. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I thinks exorcisms are ridiculous and serve no purpose really. In this day and age there are a lot more professional ways to treat mental illnesses. To me putting somebody through an exorcism would do more damage then good.

7. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I thought exorcisms were only meant to be performed on people who are said to be possessed by the devil?

I seriously don't think they should be performed on people suffering from mental illness, I just can't see it doing any good compared to modern methods. They may say the old'uns are the best'uns but not in this case.

8. ARP

ARP Member

Due to the placebo effect, I would say if the person receiving it believed in it, it might help because they thinks it helps. Aside from that, no.

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

When I was younger, I don't believe in such exorcisms even if the movie Exorcist was very popular. But when I had witnessed someone being possessed, I started to believe. I know the person and it is impossible to think that she is only acting with her possession by the spirits. And the exorcist was really good because he asked questions that I was sure the possessed does not know. In other words, the spirit was giving a reply that is unknown to anyone there, it's like an excerpt from a history book.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I read a book written by Malachi Martin, an ex-Catholic priest. In one of his accounts about an exorcism that went wrong, psychiatrist who had been in attendance when his patient was being exorcised was possessed by the evil spirits when they left their former victim. How did the priests know he'd been possessed? The spirits told the exorcist they'd chosen their new vessel, the psychiatrist and warned the exorcist not to attempt to cast them out from him [the psychiatrist] because "he was theirs."