Facebook is taking control of the Apple phone

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Nov 12, 2015.

1. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

This seems a bit scary. Independent developers are going to have a hard time with Apple monopolizing the app industry. This does remind me of a Brave New World scenario where we're all regulated by soma but in this case our drug is the smartphone and our constant need for approval through others in social media.

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

In a way we've already reached a primitive stage of that. I hear employers check the social media profiles of potential employees to get an idea of if they are indeed who they say they are and such. I may be being a little paranoid but I can see a time when having a social media account or something similar will become a legal requirement.

3. 111kg

111kg Guest

Am I the only one who hates Facebook? Although it's currently one of those too big to fail platforms, I hope that it will be attacked on the stock market and crashed to death. People are way too comfortable with sharing personal pictures, sharing their location, preferences and so on. And they have the courage to take all our data and process like it's not a big deal? Screw that. They won't get anything personal from me.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

FWIW for privacy reasons I don't do $FB or $AMZN. I do like and use $TWTR for instantaneous business news and news from around the world, as I have described elsewhere.