FACT: Atheists are Lost

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Alejandri, Jul 17, 2015.

1. djordjem87

djordjem87 Well-Known Member

I agree with this one,and i would add the same for agnostics. They believe they are more close to reality and more pragmatic than people who oppose them on this matter. The truth is they are not right because if you think about it rationally you will realize there is no way to know whether any of religious thoughts are true or not. If you are an atheist you are deliberately closing your mind to another option just because everything YOU know is not enough to understand something. It would be like i do not believe in magnetic field because i cannot see it and i haven't been studying about it. If you close your mind to other possibilities you are not being pragmatic or realistic you are being square and small minded. Agnostics are even worse i think because they refuse to believe in something they haven't seen ( i am using present perfect tense for a reason here) yet. So it means they looked everywhere. I am not going to say i believe or not. I am open to everything and i do believe in things i do not understand. I start from that point.
    Louis CK explained it well :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

At some point even those with faith will feel lost, and people only feel lost according to what they know and accept. People that don't question the bigger picture of why we are here and what is a God, may not be lost because it's not important to them.

On the same level, Christians and spiritual people can feel lost when they lose hope, or don't understand when their prayers are not answered.

3. 111kg

111kg Guest

We share the same point of view, except for the "miracle" thing - just because we don't understand 100% yet some things that happen in our world, it doesn't mean they have a supernatural origin. But yes, we don't need a god for pretty much anything.

4. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I don't mean "miracle" in the sense of the supernatural; perhaps I can clarify.

When I go to upstate New York in the fall, and see the mountains decorated with the most brilliant red, yellow, and orange trees you've ever seen, against a backdrop of an incredible blue sky, I'm completely aware that what I'm witnessing is an interlocking series of natural phenomena. But I think the fact that any of it even exists in the first place is truly remarkable, and sort of a miracle in that sense. Does that make sense?

5. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

There are many atheists who grew up raised in religious cultures and households, and deeper examination of the beliefs they had been raised with caused them to become atheist and agnostic. I've seen many Christians complain about the hubris of atheists; is it not equally arrogant to assume that people that are atheist or agnostic simply "don't know any better"? It could be that people simply began to think for themselves for once, and understood that what they had been taught was, in fact, nonsense.

6. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Some are atheists because it sounds good and is a statement to their beliefs. Many teens or younger people will declare themselves as atheists, not because they are lost, but because they don't want to follow beliefs blindly. I know their parents find it amusing in some ways, because they think it maybe a phase, but is it harmful? Not as harmful as being in a cult, but some atheists are open to discussion. I would say members of a cult are more lost.

7. lstryhrn

lstryhrn Active Member

How can you called them lost? Just because they don't believe what you believe in doesn't make them lost. I don't know what religion you are but each religion has a weird strange story to tell and to believe in. I am not atheist but I do believe in alot of people are lost for believing in a fairy tail story.