Fast food worker strike?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Philosophydaddy, May 9, 2014.

1. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Member

Has anyone heard of this fast food worker strike? I found an article here:(http://america.aljazeera.com/articl...rkersuniteactivistsannounceglobalprotest.html). Basically, this is saying that some workers fighting for a "livable wage" has inspired fast food workers across 33 countries to attempt the same. As a former fast food worker myself, I fully support what they are attempting to do. Trying to live off of $7.25/hr is impossible without some sort of economic assistance and in most cases that means food stamps (especially when the worker is trying to raise children as well). By giving workers a "livable wage" the general attitude and moral of these workers will skyrocket. What do you think? Are you for or against the action and why?

2. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

My feelings are mixed on this. Often one person's idea of "livable wage" would be a goldmine to the next person. Probably all comes down to what someone is spending money on, doesn't it? Example is two of my brothers... what one finds as plenty to pay the bills, buy the food, fund a retirement fund, and put enough enough in savings for travel, fun stuff, etc. the other brother perceives as a very low wage because it wouldn't be enough for his huge mortgage, sports car payment, eating out way too often, jewelry, etc.

That said, I'm *totally* for all workers no matter what the job, being paid a decent wage. Problem with that, and the thing that most people don't realize is that when things like this happen (forced higher wages) the consumer ends up being the victim because the big corporations are sure to NOT absorb the wage increases themselves. So the price of the food goes up, some of the benefits are cut, and so on... and the workers may actually end up suffering because their "demand" for a higher wage could be cutting their benefits in the future.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Active Member

I definitely think that fast food workers should get a "livable wage". It is crazy how much work they do just to get paid seven dollars an hour. I know people will complain about how they should have did better in school or some other argument. The fact of the matter is that all of us are not afforded the same opportunity and I have experienced this first hand from both positions.

4. Lasonax

Lasonax Active Member

Their wages are indeed insanely low, and it's actually a bit depressing to see these poor people work their assess off for such low wages, while the company owners become rich. I hope these strikes will help, the risk is high that it won't do much of a differance in many cases. I mean, even if a lot of people do these protests now, will there really be noone willing to do that work in a few weeks time? I mean, even the worst paying jobs are usually being taken by some desperate person, so chances are that the rich bastards who owns these fast food resturants will just keep giving their poor workers a horrible wage, and people will still work for them.

5. Therion11

Therion11 Member

The solution to this is a government mandated increase in minimum wage, that way every business is on the same footing, and while each business may increase the prices in the short term to compensate for increased labour cost, competition will help drive the cost down to a sensible level in most instances. It seems like the most sensible solution to a problem where too much of the profit is not being spent on the workers, particularly when it comes to fast food jobs where giving the worker a stake in the success of the company doesn't necessarily promote good work ethics, too big to fail etc. I would be more inclined to believe multinational companies when they cry about minimum wage increases if their yearly profits were not so large relative to the number of employed persons.
    In some cases they should have done better in school is not a valid argument, many of them are working fast food while in school (I don't just mean high school).

6. waseem59

waseem59 Well-Known Member

Orgainsations should pay sme what better to the workers, 7$ / hr is too low for hard workers, atleast they should pay them so that they can be satisfied with their pay out

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I think it's fine the way it is. Yes their wages are low and I can understand that some of them have trouble living comfortably with it. However the wages go up -> prices go up. It really is as simple as that, the money for the pay raise has to come from somewhere.

When you are in a industry where ANYONE can replace you with a day or two of training, you can't really expect to be able to demand a lot of wage. People always complain but I'm sure there are thousands of people who wouldn't mind taking their place and actually having a job, even if it's not well paid.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

5% of hourly workers are being paid the minimum wage.

In theory, I am against a govt-mandated minimum wage. But the reality is that there will always be one, and it does prevent any blatant exploitation that a few shady individuals and companies will always try to get away with.

Rather than some govt hacks resetting the min wage to what they think is "fair", I think the min wage should be tied to an index.

But there's no doubt that increased govt regs, taxes, etc will shut some businesses down. And with the economy being so fragile right now, and so many companies being hammered by Obamacare and other big govt BS, I don't think it's an ideal time to start jacking up wages next. Companies WILL lay off, cut hours, put more people on part time, increase prices, etc.

9. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Big (and small!) companies always exploit their employees, so I think our voice needs to be heard and a strike is a way to make that happen. Big companies think they can do what they want, it's our job to prove them wrong.

10. sully3333

sully3333 Member

Although I definitely support having the minimum wage be a living wage, I can't help but fear that too big of a hike in the minimum wage will result in more jobs lost than one would anticipate.