Fast food worker strike?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Philosophydaddy, May 9, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I can remember 8-10 years ago when people barely getting by on govt assistance and / or min wage type jobs were getting into these ridiculous homes on "interest only" mortgages. Politicians got the idea in their heads many years ago that everyone should be entitled to home ownership, even though many people are not cut out for it. It all came with a heavy price when the bubble burst a few years ago.

As for working for min wage in fast food joints, I actually did it for a few months right out of high school as a college freshman over 25 years ago. After a few months, I realized what a bad job it was and got on at a grocery store for a higher wage, better benefits, and much better working conditions. I think that fast food min wage jobs in general should be seen as only a short term thing done until something better comes along - UNLESS one wants to work their way up the ladder or eventually open their own restaurants.

2. hnatalieann

hnatalieann Guest

I do agree it's hard to live off minimum wage, but I don't think they should get rich of working fast food chains. All the companies are going to do is raise food prices on all of us, so I'll be cooking at home more often! :)

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Having worked a minimum wage job before (not in the USA though) I have to say that I got by just fine. Had a roof on top of my head, food in my fridge, enough to pay the bills. Didn't have much money to spend on extra things, but I did get by.

I would hardly blame companies for not paying more. A machine can take orders and it really doesn't take a well educated, professional worker to flip that burger. The fast food industry is definitely not one I'd like to work in, but I'd argue that it's a lot better than being unemployed.

4. Trooper

Trooper Member

The general tenor of rhetoric surrounding the opposition to increasing the minimum wage is that these shouldn't be jobs people should keep in the long term. I agree, and most people do too. Noone wants to flip burgers for a living. But the truth is, if you have people spending 8 hours a day in a workplace and still struggling to survive, they're really not going to have much of an opportunity to turn things around in any case. What that essentially means is they'll take up several time-consuming, low-pay jobs without doing several other things that you need some measure of security to afford. Things that could actually break them out of the rut of low-wage jobs, like going to college part-time, raising their children and sending them to good schools so they don't become a liability too.

Raising the minimum wage is the price we pay for breaking that vicious circle of poverty. The quantum may vary, but I think it's fairly clear what the answer is.

5. ForceofXero

ForceofXero Member

Yeah, I can see how it is hard to live under minimum wage. But in this world, there must be both poor and rich people. I agree that their wages are too low though and a small increase would help.

6. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

All true what you said... but this thread was about fast food workers striking for $15 an hour. Are you saying you think that's a good idea for fast food workers to be making what many EMT's and substitute teachers are making?

7. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

This is the way I feel, too... $7.25 isn't enough. But $15.00 is ludicrous. If this strike hadn't made the organizers look so bad, I'll bet many fast food workers would have been thrilled to have a dollar an hour raise. But more than double the current pay? For real?! :rolleyes:

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Tie it to an index such as CPI. Just going from $7.25 to a govt mandated $15.00 is insane and won't break the cycle of poverty by any means - that is largely up to the individual.

I've worked low wage jobs when I was young and in college, and there were always many around me who didn't WANT the added stress and responsibility that moving up the ladder into a higher paygrade would bring. They WANTED to just show up, do their 4-8 hour shift 3-5 days a week without any "hassle" and collect a paycheck each week. Of course they would have taken more $ if it was simply given to them, but part of the allure of living in a society that is largely capitalist is that you can largely control your destiny and ultimately make as much $ as you want to, more or less. But to do so, you have to do things others are unwilling and unable to do - take on increased responsibility, take ownership, forget about punching a time clock and getting "overtime", etc.

Such a huge increase for such a menial vocation will cause small businesses to close, and big businesses to outsource, lay off, and demote many to being part time workers. And costs will be passed on to consumers as well.

9. thelastsurrealist

thelastsurrealist Guest

Personally, I think $7.25 is a low living wage. The real issue is expenditures of many people working for that amount of money. How many single black women raising 2 or 3 kids have been interviewed since these strikes have gone viral? Quite a few from what I've seen. No doubt, supporting a household on that wage is next to impossible, and I understand the concern. But, I don't feel that a company should have to pay a person to be able to then support their family. As I see it, pay is for the individual. A single person can live on $7.25 with the proper budget.

If anything should be pushed for, it should be internally within these companies to push for bonuses for all good, hard-working employees. This would allow a company to be generous towards quality workers, and while not giving them a raise, giving them some extra money from time to time.

10. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

I agree with most of what you said although I realize it won't be the most popular answer. :) I think whether a paycheck covers an individual or a whole family doesn't come into play often... most people try to find a job that *will* keep their family fed and with a roof over their heads.

Now the part I said won't be a popular answer... I think you're right about minimum often being "enough" with a good budget... but that's where the problem comes in. How many people "budget" fancy cars and homes and doo-dads and technology into their "must have to live" categories and then expect an employer to fund all their "toys."

I don't think expecting employees to fund the sports car or 2 pack a day cigarette habit is valid. *NOW* on the other hand, my statement isn't solely about the $7.25 an hour. I really *would* like to see that go up a dollar... but much more than that and consumers are going to end up paying. I think many people would be totally thrilled to see it raised to $8.25 or $8.50. But someone got greedy with the $15.00 thing and now it's almost like a mockery.

I like your idea about bonuses, by the way!