Fed Up

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by Gelsemium, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Thanks for your post and link jondjacob, I suppose you are growing your own food? That site you share looks really interesting, I'm going to take a look right now! ;)

2. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Great link jondjacob, looks like a great organization, the "grow" section looks really interesting, volunteers, internships, outreach programs, there are so many ways to help out.

3. jondjacob

jondjacob Well-Known Member

Glad to be helpful, and yes I am growing my own food - though I am not in a city environment. However, my brother lives in Jersey City, and there are a lot of these garden initiatives going on now.

Thankfully, there seems to be a real awareness of how bad our food system is, at least on a grass roots (no pub intended) level here in the North East - I've also seen it in the Pacific Northwest.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Guest

Well, this seems to be a lingering issue for decades. Economy goes first, before everything else. It seems to be a fact of life. However, what I really don't like about it is the fact that it is done in a very concealed way. I don't mind these kinds of issues, as long as you know it is happening, and you can do something about it.

Anyway, I think in general, we really need to be more careful of our own lives. Never rely on anything that the government says.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

The irony is that the government is so concerned about childhood obesity and people being over weight, and yet, those who depend on the government for help with food end up having to eat the worst of all of us. What I mean by this is that those who live off of food stamps and such, can't afford to have the healthy foods that those of us who make a little more can afford. I just think this is weird considering that the governement is so interested at our weight.

6. desperatepower

desperatepower Member

This is because this "food" sells people want it and people are willing to lie to themselves telling themselves that it's okay to eat it when it's actually not. I haven't seen the documentary but I think that over the past few years the quality of food that people eat has improved and people are eating healthier.
    I'll try and get a hold of this documentary as it sounds interesting thanks!

7. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Yep, I do. Like I said, I don't grow all my own food, but I am able to save a little money here and there, and grow my own fresh produce. It's more herbs than anything else, but next year I'm investing in some proper pots and such, and indoor garden equipment since I'll have more room in my new place.

8. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Food is not getting healthier that is for sure because the whole aim of the food industry is not to produce healthy food, but food that gives a profit and that doesn't give short term diseases...

9. jondjacob

jondjacob Well-Known Member

I would say that mass produced food is not getting healthier, however the overall understanding of what healthy food really is is getting stronger. There are a good number of healthy choices now, though many not at eye height in your conventional grocery store. The healthiest choice you have is to buy produce, particularly if it is grown without the use of pesticides, and from heirloom seeds (aka not genetically modified).

10. turt

turt Guest

It's actually getting pretty bad with false advertisements. A lot of organic food is covered with 'organic' pesticides. There's no real way to know what is sprayed on them. As long as it's approved for organic farming, it will be used. Some crops are impossible to grow at a reasonable price without pesticide.