Fiji Islands torn up by a cat 5 cyclone.

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Feb 21, 2016.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Yesterday a cat 5 cyclone tore up Fiji, as reported by the Fiji Sun and the Fiji Times newspapers. It was the strongest storm ever recorded. Curfews are in place and damage is extensive, but fortunately there don't appear to be reports of casualties.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I heard about that storm. It is amazing that no one was killed. I guess that people must have had enough warning and were able to take cover before the storm hit. That is very good indeed and something that people can be happy about. I guess that with enough warning massive cassualities can be prevented.

3. eddiemoneys

eddiemoneys Well-Known Member

Wind and water are two of the most destructive forces in nature if used offensively. The people of Fiji were lucky that none of them died from this. In the Philippines and other countries, there are often many casualties. It is really amazing that for the strongest storm ever recorded, no one was killed. That is a good thing to be happy about.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While it's obviously a good thing that as of yet I've not of heard of any fatalities that have been reported, the damage to the infrastructure that this storm as caused will take years to repair.

Fiji relies a lot on tourism and without that income, I think the country will be struggling significantly for the foreseeable future.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The BBC today reports the death toll stands at 29 as the cleanup continues. I haven't checked the local newspapers listed in msg 1 above but I imagine, with the extensive damage and the numerous islands in the group, the SAR work has been slow and difficult.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Aw, that's terrible, I really thought that there would be no casualties.:( I just hope that more help can get to the people. It will take a lot of time before they can recover from this incident. It's not only infrastructures that were lost but also lives. I'm certain animals have been affected by this as well and there are many casualties as well. I'm praying for people and hoping they can emerge from this as stronger individuals.