Flying Cars

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by ScooterBrandon, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Especially with the fact the date from BTTF passed, I keep talking to people who tell me something along the lines of "we don't have flying cars yet."
    I am of the mind that if we wanted to, we could make a "flying car." We certainly have the technology.
    The reason we don't have them has nothing to do with our ability to make them, but our inability to operate them.
    Most people have issues driving their cars on the regular roadways, imagine the carnage if we gave the average person access to the sky? It would be chaos.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Flying cars seems like like something so futuristic. I mean hoverboards exist in some places. Individuals can even fly in windsuits, I don't see how flying cars can be far behind. I think we will see driverless cars long before flying cars, but having a flying car would be great. I can think of many a traffic jam I would like to fly over.

3. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

But we do have flying cars, we've had them and the technology to implement them since the days of WWII. Ok they might not be that futuristic vision of what a flying car would or should look like, but the point still stands :D

Flying cars en mass, I would just be that little bit fearful over. Like ScooterBrandon said, some people can barely operate a car safely. Imagine if they were let loose in a flying car.

4. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

Exactly. There would have to be some kind of crazy system in place to prevent wrecks and such. Plus we already have airplanes that go into the sky, so there would just be a lot of traffic and no way to organize it.

5. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Roads are hard enough to monitor and control let alone the skies. Would people need a new driving test to take to the skies? Would more birds be in danger from rogue and careless drivers in the air?

Having the technology to have something doesn't mean it's useful or profitable.

6. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'm thinking it would fall more into the lines of air traffic control needing to regulate it. But if we got a mass production of flying cars then it could put ATC into meltdown as they are already having difficulties regulating and keeping the sky safe as it is at the moment.

7. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I heard of hover cars and that they'd be tested in some university in Israel. Afterwards they'd be tested in some U.S cities. If we already have hover cars then flying cars aren't too far behind. Whether they'll be better than the cars we already have is an entirely different matter. I wouldn't mind getting in one of those.

8. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Hover cars, as in acting the same was or similar as a helicopter would?

Didn't the US army test something similar in the shape of a flying disc in around the 60's or 70's?