FOMC Dec 16 statement + quarter-point

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by baudwalk, Dec 16, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

2. petesede

petesede Guest

Yep, it was the right time. it was only a quarter point, which is what Wall Street was expecting. Now we just need to go through about 6 months of no big unexpected bad things happening and it will be fine. The problem, and the reason I thought they might wait another 3 months is just that Russia, China and a bunch of other big issues could get thrown at us, and they will need to go back to 0%

3. petesede

petesede Guest

Just want to add.... where is that thread where people were all getting in an uproar blaming Obama for using ISIS as an excuse to keep rates at 0? Like I said before, it was premature to blame the Fed for doing something that they hadn´t even done yet, and for reasons that nobody knew.. So turns out they did raise rates so people spent all that time burning themselves up blaming someone for something they weren´t even going to do. But hey.. it was on Fox News so it must be true.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I gotta ask. Who blamed Obama for using ISIS as an excuse to keep rates at 0? Seriously? You must have been watching Looney Tunes, not Fox News. :)

5. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Not a surprise but it is certainly good to see.
    Let's hope main street is ready for the increases in their interest payments, I know a lot of American's are overextended.
    Mr. Poloz of the Canadian central bank won't be raising rates for this reason, too many of my countrymen are in homes that they cannot actually afford.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

You know that anything said on Fox News absolutely, positively has to be 100% false. I'm just shocked some haven't committed suicide yet because we aren't going to keep rates at zero forever now. ;)

7. petesede

petesede Guest

There was a thread on this forum that someone started. They quoted an article that stated that the Fed was not going to move interest rates because if Obama started a ground war against ISIS, it would hurt the economy. The ´spin´ was the Obama was manipulating the Fed to not raise interest rates. And as usual, a bunch of people jumped in and slammed Obama and the thread for something they hadn´t even done yet... and as of yesterday, was false. Funny how that thread disappeared. I remembered it because I got accused of having a crystal ball.... which apparently I did because they did raise interest rates.

8. petesede

petesede Guest

A quarter point will have very little impact and many banks will just ignore it for normal lending. The thing is, because everyone has been anticipating this move for the last 9 months or so, the increase in rates for consumers has already mostly been factored in. From reading what the Fed said, I don´t get the feeling that this is ´the first of many´....as much as it was a dabble to see what happens.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Had a look at some sites and there are some bloggers who think the hike will cause a collapse. A 0.25% hike will cause a meltdown? It appears like there are some people who derive some pleasure from being alarmists.

10. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

That is true, a lot of the talking heads have been saying that it will be at 1-2% in a few years time, but I think you're right they might take it slower then that.