Food Container Ban will effect business revenues

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by My401K, Dec 27, 2014.

1. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

NYC has passed legislation to ban polystyrene food containers, they have given industries that use these containers till July to figure out either a way to recycle or replace. leading manufacturers are up in arms because they feel these items can be cheaply and safely recycled however the problem is they have no idea how to fund this. they believe that cities could make millions on recycling. The National Resource Council disagrees and wants not only polystyrene to be banned, they would like the plastic shopping bags to be banned, as we have seen happen in California and other states. Is this all just another attempt to dictate to the food service industry what they can and cannot do or is there substance to this ban? Your thoughts

2. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

My take is that they should be banned and make them come up with a safer alternative...if you happen to watch the movie The East, you'll understand why...its not a matter of dictating the food service industry...mankind is depleting the environment of its special resources...just my $0.02.

http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/styrene.html

3. ally79

ally79 Guest

What is it with NYC and all of their bans? No soda's over a certain size, no smoking, and now no takeaway food? If you had said anywhere by NYC it might be surprising but with their current banning streak it is not.

4. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Well-Known Member

To much government can be a problem. I like the idea of being progressive in the name of expanding liberty, justice, and the pursuit of happiness. However, these drastic changes have to be planned, and impact studies should be done before they are implemented.

5. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

This is so true- I think it is all just ways to try to earn additional tax dollars seriously. If you have to buy to smaller beverages the price and the tax is higher. I never once believed it was about obesity. New food containers, surcharge in price.

We have gone thru bicycle helmet laws, contact sports laws for children in schools, banning of red ink in schools (on tests and homework), all sorts of very weird anti discrimination agendas that make no sense at all and a call for a ridiculous minimum wage. It is like NY is the test state for everything.

In fact the one that really kills me is the surcharge that vendors add to bills for fuel. When was it that a businesses transportation costs became a line item? That's the cost of doing business, just like your phone, copier and everything else. Sure they usually bury it in the cost of the goods, but a straight up line charge of $50 because fuel is expensive? Whats up with that? Does every state do that or just NY?

The other new thing I am seeing is on some bills there is an administrative or billing fee for sending you a bill. I kid you not, NYSEG has a charge for billing and I get mine electronic. Seems like a racket to me.

6. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Progressives seem to want to use govt and sometimes take very radical measures to "expand" such things for some at the expense of many others. And it usually results in those others having to cough up more tax dollars and behave in more politically correct ways - i.e. restrictions on THEIR liberty, justice, and happiness.

7. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

I think that there is substance to the ban. Recycling is cheaper than creating a new item. It gets rid of waste and ensures we do not exhaust resources available to us. The fact that they get to control the food industry must be an added bonus because they get to have the last word. Just my opinion here.