Going to church

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Alex, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Remember there was a time before the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed when everyone was expected to go to the temple to worship. Later however when Jesus was here and someone questioned Him about it, He told her . . .
    But the time is coming--indeed it's here now--when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth.
    One doesn't need to be in a church in order to worship God. Churches these days IMHO are merely a place where you meet friends.

2. In the running

In the running Well-Known Member

Why do you need a church to pray? It's prayer....you can do it anywhere. People do it in hospitals before surgery, in their car when they're taking their child to their first day of school, etc....

Churches are a social function first, and a place to hear someone tell you what "God" says, second.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I used to attend pretty regularly, or if you will, religiously. Now I don't. To be honest, even when I was a very devoted follower of my faith, I never really enjoyed church. The social aspect is, "meh", at least for me. I've never been really into a bunch of socializing.

4. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Good question pal, you raised some very true and important points in your comment. I go to church, and I do so because I feel it is the right thing to do, moreso, my religious text emphasis the need to go to Church, to fellowship. I believe that if people really take God seriously, better things will happen in life. But that's another entire story within itself. If I stop going to Church, guilt with kill me, so, I guess, to each his own on this point, as some people dislike Church while others love Church.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I enjoy going to church when I have a community of like minded individuals. I find the churches in my immediate area not my cup of tea, that is part of the reason I would like to move. I think going to church can be a benefit to both you and the community. My preferred church is Unitarian, but the closest one is quite far from here. There is another church I am interested in investigating but it is quite far from here also.

6. lstryhrn

lstryhrn Active Member

Church is just a place to worship for me. I tend not to go because you have so many bad people in church. You have people judging you, putting you down, you have the pastor asking for money. It was this one church that sent a lady to the collection agents because of not paying tithes

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

That's right and just because a person goes to church, doesn't mean they're not a bad person. People seem to think if your religious but don't go to church, your not fulfilling your religious obligations but I don't see it that way at.

People can be religious and not go to church.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I went to church this morning for the so called Misa De Gallo as part of the Filipino tradition of the Christmas season. The mass is celebrated at 4:30 am. Yes, the dawn masses starts on December 16 until December 24. The Philippines is the only country that celebrates that dawn masses tradition. Gee, the church was full this morning and we had to stand up. To consider that it was raining last night and there was a drizzle this morning, that means the tradition is still alive.

9. jfrack

jfrack Guest

I don't know if going to church makes you more religious, it definitely gives that pretense that if you go to church every week that you are more religious than those who don't. But honestly, I don't know. What I do know, due to being brought up by a very religious and strict Catholic mother and attending private Catholic school for grade school and high school that according to God's law (at least for Roman Catholics), that attending mass every Sunday is an obligation. Therefore if you do not attend mass, your are not following God's rule.

10. jfrack

jfrack Guest

I, being a Catholic and reading this brings an interesting view to the Catholic church that I have never considered before, however I must disagree with a part of what you said. you claim that we worship Mary and the saints, and that is simply not true. We call on these great people to pray for us, due to the fact that they are in Heaven and closer to God. We do not praise them, we acknowledge their great and devote lives, and ask them to help us to live as they did, so that we may be mad holy in the eyes of Christ. Every prayer about a saint or Mary, is not given as worship, but as a call to help for us to be better people and live holier lives.