Gold & Silver continue to tank ...

Discussion in 'Commodities Forum' started by SteakTartare, Jul 27, 2015.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Well, gold and silver continues to slide. I watching and waiting at this point. That is not selling any holdings off (because I don't need to), but waiting to buy when the time is right.

Any prognostications on how low the yellow metal and its silver sidekick will go?

Thanks for sharing. :)

2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I usually stay away from commodities for two very simple reasons.
    1: I don't understand enough about them
    2: They don't generate incoming cash flow like bonds or dividend paying stocks do.

But I have to say that I'm starting to slowly take some quick looks towards gold/silver/copper ETFs since the prices seem to be pretty low at the moment. But still far from actually considering buying for the 2 reasons stated above.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

No idea myself when the metals will start to rise against the dollar. The best way to go may be to buy them with weaker currencies. I dollar cost average into my investments with new money each week / month, and I've been adding to my metals and crude and nat gas commodities ETF's by first turing dollars into eros, yen, etc, then buying small amounts of the commodities.

I keep at least a little gold and less silver at all times for several reasons - mainly as hedges against inflation, a weak dollar, and as an alternative investment when disaster / panic / fear strikes.

4. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

I think we're really seeing the speculative shakeout from this space. All the cash that jumped in when the world was going to end and rates were going lower and lower are going to have to accept a world where rates are about to rise and where the world will plod along but not fully capitulate. Gold's still a hedge, and at these levels a decent level to get in at. But for full on investment, it's not for me.

5. JoeTneal

JoeTneal Member

Even if gold and silver continue to decline right now, I will always support the precious metals. They may be down now, but they will eventually rise again. Gold and silver are physical assets that are worth money. Gold has been around as a form of money for centuries. It is not going anywhere as a form of barter. Silver is starting to be used in a tremendous amount of electronics, which means there is only a finite amount of it. Once it is used up and thrown out in the form of computers or other electronics, there will be no more. So silver prices are bound to rise. It is supply and demand. Don't let a little price drop on precious metals discourage you from investing in them. Just look at it this way, buy now while its low, and once it rises again, you will be sitting on a nice profit.