Good Afternoon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mrs.G, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Mrs.G

Mrs.G New Member

Finally taken the step.... will learn how to make my money work for me ! What better place to start than the Bull Market Boards, where I hopefully can pick up some pointers from the pros ! I also am very political , was happy to see a couple fun boards here too !
    First question: If you had $1000.00 and needed it to turn into $4000.00 in 4 years what would you invest in and why? Looking for theory , variables ....... Not looking for someone to do advising, looking to learn to help myself !! Thanks in advance Cheers ! :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Wanting to turn $1000 into $4000 in 4 years huh? I'd probably take that $1000 with me and go to the store to buy some whiskey. Good whiskey, I've got $1000. Then go out into a nice cozy pub and have a crazy night full of alcohol, women and awesome partying. The next morning I would use the $10 left in my back pocket to buy a lottery ticket.

In the example you listed you are looking at an average return of over 30%. In reality, you should be expecting maybe around 5% in the current market. The historical average for the S&P500 seems to hover around 8%. I would recommend that you figure out how much extra you have, how much risk you are willing to take and how much you are looking to earn and in what time. Keep in mind that the lower the risk the lower the returns.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Hi Mrs. G and welcome to the forum. I think you can learn some information here from the savvy investors in the group. It is always nice to see a new face, and I hope you enjoy it here. I think if you were trying to make that much money in a few years, you would have to invest in some kind of sepeculative stock no one else is. That would be a lot of return to expect.

4. TaurusHorns

TaurusHorns Well-Known Member

For $1000, the only consistent way I think I'd make 4k is with a website, as those are pretty much the best way that I know to use my money and get a guaranteed return. I have a lot of other expenses in line though, so I can't go investing the money that way quite yet lol :)!

And welcome! Enjoy your stay.

5. crimsonghost747

Interesting. If you know of a "guaranteed" way to make big profits then why don't you go to the bank, get a loan, do your thing, pay back the loan and retire on some lovely island paradise somewhere? Banks are charging about 2% per year in interest so if you can make 30% per year then... well it's 28% of free money. What are you waiting for?

6. Mrs.G

Mrs.G New Member

Thanks for my first lesson I am too impatient !

7. Mrs.G

Mrs.G New Member

Am I wasting my time with "Inves- ters U" ?

8. crimsonghost747

This? http://www.investmentu.com/ ?

I would never say education is wasted time. But be sure to get your info from multiple souces. You can read that website if you want (I have never even heard of it so no idea on the quality) but also look up other sources such as books. Everyone seems to be recommending "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham.
    And remember that when talking about investing in a particular company or asset, pretty much everything outside of the numbers in the company financial reports is the opinion of someone. And that someone could be right or wrong, so rather than taking a look at what he is recommending, take a look at why he came to that conclusion.