Good article on investing and political opinion...

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by JR Ewing, Sep 12, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...-pundit-give-you-investment-advice-2014-09-11

I certainly have my own strong views on politics, but I can honestly say that I've never let my political views affect how I've handled the money of others.

I will admit that I have on occasion done so with my own money, and not really to my benefit.

Basically, it's a good reminder that The Fed trumps all.

2. troutski

troutski Guest

I'm not big on politics myself. In fact, my mantra is to just navigate around what politicians do, whether they restrict our rights or broaden them. There's always a workaround, so I don't have to let politics impact my personal life too much. As far as investing is concerned, I don't let politics invade such decisions, unless something is going to directly affect my holdings, which does happen from time to time.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

political opinions, just like most opinions, are very harmfull when investing. I understand why some people let opinions (political or others) affect their investments, but personally I try to limit their effect as the whole idea is to increase capital. Not to save the world.

4. JR Ewing

My own experiences with politics influencing my investing on occasion have been mainly out of fear of what possible harm a particular administration's ideologies and possible radical actions may do. It's nothing to do with ethics or anything like that - I'm very much the opposite of the "socially conscious investor" / treehugger type. Those are in fact the types I fear when they have power - they tend to be anti-business and in favor of increasing taxes and regulations.

5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I am not a big politics fun, I just live my life and do what I am suppose to do that best suits my life, it does not matter what they come up with , I just get on with my life.

6. JR Ewing

I look at what has been going on in recent years and beg to differ.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I'm a very political person but I've never let it interfere with how or where I invest my money. I know how to separate the two aspects of my life. I am a professional. I'm not a broker, but if I were I wouldn't let that interfere with where I invested my clients money either. Politics is just one aspect of life. My financial well being is more important and I'm going to advance that regardless of political circumanstances.

8. JR Ewing

Things like increases in taxes and regulations and proposing tax-advantaged dollar limits on tax-advantaged retirement accounts are always things I'm concerned about. Of course they don't necessarily have a negative affect on the markets, as we've seen.

9. twinsmommy31

twinsmommy31 Active Member

Politics should not drive a persons thought process in this matter. No matter how invested you are in the political outlook of the world. The main objective is to increase capital for yourself or for those that trust you to make decisions for them.

10. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I don't even like politics to begin with...its one fat lie...i' d rather get my advice from elsewhere newsworthy and make my decision henceforth...what saddens me is the way Bitcoin has flopped it such a short time...just sad!