Good stocks

Discussion in 'Trade Journals & Stock Tips' started by alexisfinch24, Jun 18, 2014.

1. alexisfinch24

alexisfinch24 Well-Known Member

Can everyone use this thread to start sharing information on what stocks are good and which ones are useless to us as investors. I believe everyone would love to learn from an experienced trader in stocks so they may get started in it as well.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am new to stocks myself and I posted a request about what to get involved in a while back. The overwhelming response was Microsoft stocks if you can afford them.

4. mmalka01

mmalka01 Guest

Also as a person with limited experience in stock trading, my best choice would be for you to avoid volatile options like penny stocks for example. But since you are asking for good stocks, they tend to be in the higher range per stock. An example would be Microsoft or Netflix but that would depends on your options and I would suggest going to a local broker.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a highly individual thing. If you're more conservative, you'll probably prefer the larger, more mature companies in industries that tend to not be affected much by things like recessions and usually pay good dividends.

If you're more aggressive, you'll probably gravitate more towards most of the types of investments I like. I'm aggressive but not wreckless - I'm big on diversification and risk management.

6. teeteefree

teeteefree New Member

Many investors new to the stock-picking scene believe that there is some infallible strategy that, once followed, will guarantee success.There is no foolproof system for stock picking. This doesn't mean you can't expand your wealth through the stock market. It's just better to think of stock-picking as an art rather than a science. A lot of information is intangible and cannot be measured. The quantifiable aspects of a company, such as profits, are easy enough to find. But how do you measure the qualitative factors, such as the company's staff, its competitive advantages, its reputation and so on? This combination of tangible and intangible aspects makes picking stocks a highly subjective, even intuitive process. Because of the human (often irrational) element inherent in the forces that move the stock market, stocks do not always do what you anticipate they'll do. Emotions can change quickly and unpredictably. And unfortunately, when confidence turns into fear, the stock market can be a dangerous place.
    The bottom line is that there is no one way to pick stocks. Better to think of every stock strategy as nothing more than an application of a theory - a "best guess" of how to invest. And sometimes two seemingly opposed theories can be successful at the same time. Perhaps just as important as considering theory, is determining how well an investment strategy fits your personal outlook, time frame, risk tolerance and the amount of time you want to devote to investing and picking stocks.

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

I know for sure that the Microsoft stocks are so far the best to get started with. I think Amazon and Twitter should also be okay they are not low-end companies. I am uncertain if Facebook is a good one to invest in since I have not heard much about it. Radioshack is useless to invest in I think the price is still at $1 so not worth it.

8. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

For starters, just trying your hand at making some picks off your own research is a great way to learn what's good and what isn't. When I started about 6 months ago, I took a smaller starting roll and just tried my hand at picking some companies to see if it's something I could do. You might lose the initial investment, but it's better than risking everything you have saved for investing at your first market picks. I used those first few months to have some "trial by error" time and gain some valuable education for myself.

9. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

That is pretty good idea, I have never thought of microsoft myself, I am also new to all this but I will make sure I look into it.

10. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

Microsoft has got to be one of the most stable stocks out there, when you compare it with Apple for example.
    Apple has ups and downs depending on the products they release, even if they have a general rise all the time, whereas Microsoft doesn't even need to release anything new, if they need money they just release an updated version of Office and make a fortune and watch their stock rise.