Good stocks

Discussion in 'Trade Journals & Stock Tips' started by alexisfinch24, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

That might be true Strykstar, but does that make Microsoft stock good ones? I mean, their value will not fluctuate that much, so what can we earn by buying them?

2. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

What about heath stocks, or pharmaceutical or medical stocks? For example, Johnson & Johnson, and MERCK are always sure bets.
    What about heath insurance stocks, such as Humana or United Health Care group?

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I like some of the biotechs with very promising pipelines in small amounts. They can be very volatile though. GILD has been pretty steady among these.

4. eagletal88

eagletal88 Guest

It does seem like Apple is a moderately safe bet. I will say I invested in Amazon at the wrong time, but that was more to lack of knowledge if anything. Amazon does seem quite volatile, (407 high, 284 low) in a 1 year span.

KMI looks quite solid even during the oil stock crisis.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Be VERY careful with pharmaceuticals! The problem there is patents... a lot of the companies are riding on 1 or 2 medications that are bringing in a lot of profit... when the patents expire it could mean big trouble ahead. There is no guarantee that no matter how much money is poured into R&D they will be able to come up with a new medication to take the previous ones place. This doesn't mean that they are bad investments, it's just another risk to think about.

I do like Johnson & Johnson though. Well diversified in the medical field, they have a big market share and if you take a look at their history it's a very well managed company that has done well for a very long time. They will release their quarterly financial statement today so now is a good time to get a look at the fresh numbers.