Google Challenging Amazon's Same Day Shipping Services

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by troutski, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

I heard Google is only offering that service in a few cities. I thing Washington D.C. was one of those cities.
    I hope it works because Amazon should have a reliable competitor. I love Google.
    I'll bet those online stores like Target.com, Overstock.com or Banana Republic.com. would have a deal with Google. However, Amazon offers the yearly subscription in which you apply that savings to your purchases with Amazon.

2. twinsmommy31

twinsmommy31 Active Member

I think Amazon will always reign the true leader. Even if they may have had a bad year. They still have inventory which Google does not. They have always provided me with great service and shipping. I will always be an amazon fan.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I agree with that twinsmommy31, but Google has the capacity to threaten them. The main issue with Google is just that they have too many things on their hands, so specialization is harder.

4. petesede

petesede Guest

Their biggest problem is if Alibaba gets a foothold in the USA. Normally I would say it would be impossible for a company to build an infrastructure to rival Amazon, but BABA is sitting on a ton of money now. They can´t build it overnight, but they can buy it pretty quickly.

I am not sure about Google anymore. They seem to have lost their creative way. I think that happens a lot to tech companies.. the guys who build the companies are innovative and creative and bleed for the company.. but the guys who get hired now are just Joes. They clock 9-5 and are content if the best idea they have is to just copy someone else. The guy who ran Google+ for them is already gone, never had any real blood in the game.. just kinda showed up, launched a ´meh´ product, and left.

5. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Well-Known Member

I very much doubt Amazon can be pushed away from the market they've practically created. It takes a lot of infrastructure to be able to achieve this and Google is not even close to what it needs in order to compete. I reckon Google will shut this service down in a year or so. I also don't think it's a big enough investment for Google to really affect their share price in any way. So hold onto their stock if you have any.

6. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am in love with the services that Amazon provides so there is still no competition for me. They are a great company and it was founded in my home state.

7. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

Amazon and Google are going to be competing in so many fields in coming years it's going to be very interesting to see how it pans out. Given that both companies are trying to compete in as many different fields as possible, it's going to be a different competitive environment for both companies soon.

8. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

The only real advantage I can see with Google's service is that you could have, say, groceries delivered from two or three different stores at the same time. Useful for a busy household or those who like to shop around for food. It seems to be a completely different service than what Amazon offer. I would agree though, that they are far better off staying well away from physical stores and concentrating on retaining the almost-monopoly they have online.

9. troutski

troutski Guest

At this point, Google will have a tough time breaking into anything involving shipping because of Amazon's infrastructure, but it's not impossible. Amazon has broken into the tablet space with ease, but it's shown time and time again that it doesn't know how to create a mobile phone worth using. The main problem there is that Amazon uses its Fire OS for tablets and smartphones, rather than giving full access to the Google Play Store and actual Android operating system. That's a huge misstep in itself.

10. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

It is a tough competition and it is only a matter of time before we come to know which company stands where. I believe both are equally good and I think it can be really helpful to have a handful of services from both the company.