Google Challenging Amazon's Same Day Shipping Services

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by troutski, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I pay for Amazon Prime each year and there are a lot of benefits that come along with it. I probably do not even utilize the services as much as I should seeming as how I am paying for the enhanced membership. I get my packages through Amazon for much cheaper than I do other companies and I just don't see Google competing with that. I do like Google a whole lot, but I am sure I will stick with Amazon for purchasing.

2. carl12344

carl12344 Member

Amazon would win overall.

3. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

Amazon seems to like to keep eying google's business, and google seems to like eying Amazon's business. When it comes to developer tools, google is top notch. One of the reasons for Android's success is google gave the developers a relatively easy way to create Android apps. By contrast Apple locked in the developers. On the other hand google does really poorly when it comes to actually providing what people want.

Probably Google should stick to search engines, gmail, computation clouds and android. Almost 50% of google's income now comes from advertising on android apps.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

That's what happens in the high tech world, if one service is working, other company will copy it soon enough because that means millions. If they can grab some of that market, why would they just stick with their core business?

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Competition in any market is usually a good thing for the consumer, especially when it happens to be two big companies such as these. Amazon have probably cornered the market when it comes to shopping and shipping but Google certainly have the funds and logistics to be a worthwhile alternative.

6. petesede

petesede Guest

The real problem is that this is not really a ´tech´ thing. The majority of the business and most of the competitive edge that Amazon has is because of the infrastructure it has already built. Any company that wants to compete with Amazon is not going to have to make a better website, or offer better deals.. they are going to have to create an enormous infrastructure of warehouses and logistics that rivals Amazon in efficiency so the new company will be able to offer prices as low as Amazon. That is brick and mortar stuff that will take years to implement just to be able to compete with someone who will not be idling during those years.