Google's Self-driving Cars

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by gracer, Feb 11, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

It looks like we'll be seeing more self-controlling cars roaming around U.S. cities in the near future with the declaration of the U.S. vehicle safety regulators that self-driving Google cars can be considered drivers under federal law. There is no steering wheel, acceleration or braking mechanism for the human occupant of the car so it will be purely controlled by the car's self-driving system.

Here's more on the story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alphabet-autos-selfdriving-exclusive-idUSKCN0VJ00H

What do you think about this kind of vehicle? Are you amenable to buying one knowing that you won't have any control over it or are you a bit doubtful about it?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I am on of the fans of Google Car, hoping that it will be a reality soon. However, the most recent statement from the team of Google Car is not encouraging. They have encountered minor problems that seem to have no solution at the moment which renders the Google Car in needing of a driver at time. So a driver-less car is still far from reality? But when successful, Google Car will be like a train with no steering wheel and only buttons maybe are accessible to the passengers. Hoping of its reality soon.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I wouldn't buy one... at least not right now. But that's because I enjoy driving. When an actual car maker starts producing vehicles which have the option for self drive then I'm interested. Could be useful when busy and especially when going for a night out.

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I don't drive so for people like me it's an option. However, I am very wary of things and would observe how things went, if there were things to look out for before I would trust one.

5. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I see your point on this. Self-driving cars could help in decreasing accidents because the driver is busy with something else while driving or has taken alcohol from a night out. Accidents happen most of the time when drivers' alertness decreases due to distractions and influence of alcohol. I'm just unsure on the absence of manual control devices for the passenger on a self-driving car. For me I think they should still put something that would help the person riding it take control just in case something goes wrong with the car's self-driving system.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

The Google car has no steering wheel so logically there is no driver control. I think that thought would deter people from buying or even using that car. It would be scary to allow a computer to run it and be responsible for your life. There is an issue here of Mitsubishi's Montero which accelerates by itself. More than 100 cases have been documented but Mitsubishi evades answering. Their reply is always there's nothing wrong with their car.

7. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

That is exactly my fear when it comes to self-driving cars. Take the case of sudden unintended acceleration cases with the Mitsubishi Montero. It is not a self driving car but the computer system that controls some of its features have apparently been having problems. So what more when it comes to a car where the human passenger won't have any control at all? What would happen if problems would occur in the operating system and the driver isn't aware because it's the car which has all the control?

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I completely agree and I'm pretty sure that at least the first few generations will have this. The car google is currently working on is just a prototype to test the feasibility of self driving cars and to advance the technology, it's not made to be sold to the public.

9. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Ever watch old movies and there is a guy who operates the elevator? Do you ever get into an elevator and feel strange that it's a "self driving" one?
    Well there was a transition phase there where they needed elevator guys to work them, then the tech came far enough they didn't need them anymore. BUT they keep people working elevators for about then years because people were afraid to ride in an elevator that didn't have a human operator!

Same thing with self driving cars. We are entering that phase where they are actually safe. BUT you are not going to see widespread adoption for awhile due to peoples fears.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Who's going to be the guinea pigs that are going to test these self driving cars out in a real world situation though? It's one thing sitting in one while a self driving car makes its way around a race track, or negotiates its way around a few cones at 10 mph, but what about how it behaves in a busy city?

Would you be willing to sit in while your self driving car speeds it's way down the highway at 70mph, then makes its way through a busy city centre with pedestrians and cyclists cutting across your path every 5 seconds? No...me neither.