GOP Debate

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by kgord, Nov 11, 2015.

1. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

OK who watched and what did you think? I thought it was entertaining and made some important points. Again, I was impressed by the performance of Rubio, although I am not certain how high his chances are of getting the nomination. I am going to check the polls now to see what people thought of the debate performance. John Kasich has a lot of good things to say, and if I were a Republican, I think I would favor him. He has a proven track record.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Cruz, Rubio, and Fiorina always do very well.

Rand Paul did better than he has in the past, but the more I hear from him the less I like him overall, even though I have a strong libertarian/small govt streak myself. I disagree with him primarily on national defense.

Not a big fan of Kasich, although he would certainly be better than Hillary.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, I think all Republicans agree with that one! I found the debate to be enlightening, and I was glad Trump got called to task for the idea of deporting millions of illegal immigrants. It is neither humane nor practical.

4. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I think behind the scenes all the teams are trying to figure out what the public want to hear now. There are traditional Republicans and those who are middle of the road. The party needs some kind of focus, because with too many opposing views people will think they can't work together as a party if they can't agree what there views are. The Iowa Caucus will be the proving ground for it all.

5. petesede

petesede Guest

Trump is doubling-down with the stupidity. He announced that he is going to kick Starbucks out of Trump Towers because they are removing Christmas from their cups this year. He and Cruz have the same problem, their target audience is very small, and the more the lock-in that audience, the more they exclude everyone else. Trump always had the Hillary problem where a lot of people just do not like him, but with his campaign tactics this year, he is just polarizing himself to a very small base of support that is only going to work in a handful of states.

Any semi-intelligent person knows you can´t export 11M people, and if you try, the ones you do catch will be the honest, hardworking ones. The criminals are going to be the ones who get away.

I was waiting for Kasich to make fun of Trump for repeating himself. Trump rambles on, and at times he can´t think of what to say, so he just repeats the last thing he said, even if it isn´t worth repeating. He does it to keep the mic live which he probably learned on the Apprentice. If you keep talking, other people can´t. Someone should do a video ticker that counts how many times Trump repeats his last sentence after stuttering for a moment.

"Repeating a stupid idea louder does not make it any less stupid" Kasich in the lead....

6. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

The thing I can't figure out is why TRump remains in the lead in the polls...?? If he has such a small minority supporting him how does he take the top position in the polls? I wouldn't vote for Trump if there was a choice between him and Mickey Mouse. I know he won't specify his positions because whatever he says will draw criticism, and reasons why it won't work. Besides he thinks people like his "being in the moment"