Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by soultakerkage, May 18, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

Well, even if they had guns they could have been caught off guard as well. More, how many more people have died in the US without terrorists?

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Gun control is silly. Its being pushed by folks who typically want to see more control and forced outcomes on other issues such as the economy and education. Gun control does nothing but disarm law abiding citizens. Why some folks dont get this baffles me.

3. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

^. This. France has some insanely restrictive laws, but that didn't stop the terrorists from acquiring and using AK-47s, CZ Skorpion machine-pistols, a rocket launcher, pistols, a shotgun, and other hardware. The gun laws only restrict the good guys, not the bad guys.

If someone doesn't want to be armed, then that is their call, but don't impose it on me. Personally I prefer to have the equipment (including various firearms) and skills to protect myself and family if/when it goes down.

4. ally79

ally79 Guest

Gmckee and SteakTartare are right on target as far as I am concerned. If you don't want a gun or guns in your home then that is absolutely your right. However, you have absolutely no right to dictate how I am allowed to protect my home and my family.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Bad guys with guns here in the US usually intentionally target places and areas where guns are not legally allowed. Mass shootings and similar gun crimes are almost always in "gun free zones" like schools, theaters, and other designated places guns are not allowed. You never hear about gun clubs, hunting clubs, police stations, etc having these problems.

We also have a cultural gang problem that is most evident in places like Chicago that is made worse by gun control laws put in place there by local officials. If a "gangsta" tries to force his way onto my property or carjack me, he'd better have eaten his wheaties that day.

6. troutski

troutski Guest

HA. I love it. Same with my household. If someone broke into the home, I could be armed within 15 seconds, including the time it takes to unlock my rifle (sometimes a child in the house, so no unlocked guns). I'm okay with gun control measures in large, large cities like New York to some degree. Anyways, gun control limits the ability of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from criminals with often illegally owned weapons.

Plus, you probably won't see the U.S. government successfully turn on its citizens (ignoring all of the ways they've done that on both sides of the political spectrum). If the government tried to take back guns or impose martial law on the entire country (for whatever reason), then our citizens would defend themselves tooth and nail. Some people own anti-aircraft guns in the country for fun after all.

When the government oppresses its people in other countries, they often spend years fighting those battles and sometimes have no access to actual firearms. That's just another thing to think about, whether that would ever happen in the U.S. or not.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

What would you guys say is the best gun for household protection/defense? I'm looking into getting one but am not sure what to get. Don't want to go into the gun store looking like a clueless fool so I would really enjoy some suggestions. Have done some research online, but would be curious as to what you guys think. Thanks.

8. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

You make a good description of the situation here, so it seems it's totally out of control and the solution would be to arm everyone? Or better to slowly start disarming and let the authorities face the criminals?

9. JR Ewing

Maybe start with a small caliber 22 or 25 to get the hang of it all.

10. JR Ewing

You'll never be able to disarm the criminals. The only way to disarm them as individuals is when they go to jail for periods of time. You can't put them all in jail unless you catch them breaking various laws, try them, then convict them.