Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by soultakerkage, May 18, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

We have a much different culture here - it's a cultural problem, not a gun problem. Guns are just usually the preferred weapon of choice. If not guns, it's bombs, poison, automobiles, or whatever.

Just about every time one of these shootings of innocent people takes place, it's almost always in a "gun free zone". Otherwise, we find that an armed society is pretty much a polite society.

2. johnalan

johnalan Guest

No,controlling society would be an easier task. Better paid teachers = better educated students = less crime = social equality.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

In places like inner cities, older students are often a major problem for teachers. Again, it's largely a cultural / upbringing issue - lack of a father figure, poor role models, hopelessness, etc. And you're not really considered a "man" in some subcultures unless you've done prison time and killed people, unfortunately.

4. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

That is a scary reality you are telling, but in fact is true. My main question here is, do the people running the country are worried about that? To be honest, I don't see real measures to change this current situation.

5. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I'm not living in the US and clearly cannot form a perfectly legit opinion on this topic, but I can clearly say that it's unfair to impose gun control when Constitution clearly tells that you have the undisputable right of carrying weapons without giving any kind of notice to someone. They just want to take this right from you, and it isn't fair. Though from a point of view, I do think that it would be savvy to impose some rules against those who would use guns malignantly.

6. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

Do you think it's unfair right? I think that the constitution might allow it, but when so many people are being killed something needs to be reformulated because clearly it's causing a lot of harm.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

There is Gun Ban movement here that has been waging its advocacy for more than 10 years already. It has even created a political party out of its core group called Kapatiran Party. However, popularity for them is elusive maybe because they don't have the creativity to promote their advocacy. They project an image that is very clean and prudent hence the public is not sympathetic. Gun control can only be fully in place of the peace and order in the community or in the country becomes ideal. But for now, where criminals commit crimes with illegal guns, the public cannot be at ease.

8. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

Gun control should be enforced. At least not allow everyone to possess one. You really don't know what one's intentions are, and you'd be better off preventing tragedies. One thing that I find odd about the US situation though, is that even though there've been so many shootings and deaths, the Government doesn't seem to have any inclination toward "Once bitten, twice shy."

9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am all about the American right to bear arms, but people have to use that right in a responsible manner. What I do have a problem with is guns getting into the hands of people who have no business having a gun. When the right is abused is how people get in trouble. Guns do not typically kill people, it is the people operating the gun.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I always find this topic hinges around whether people keep their rights, or that gun laws need to be stricter. The fact is guns exist, however, the laws that allow people to own guns means that they are more accessible. People will always have their rights, but they want liberal rights. People with mental health issues can't own guns, but how many people go are not diagnosed, or were sane when they bought a gun and then got depressed and changed?

What stops people stealing guns, which is often the case when a child steals a gun from a parent? Limiting the availability of guns will help, because if they are not there to use, then people can't use them. Yes, they may find other methods to kill or be violent, but carrying a knife is more of an offense than carrying a gun in your bag.