Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by soultakerkage, May 18, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

thelast, the thing is that guns are already a part of the US culture, so of course it's not black and white for you. For me it's pretty much black and white, guns kill.

2. Abqu

Abqu Well-Known Member

The Supreme Court's interpretation of the constitution removes the "well established militia" part of the second amendment. But the Constitution, as written, allows for gun ownership for defense of the individual, their property, and their local government. I think handguns are unnecessary for either interpretation.

3. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Criminals already have them and will continue to have them. So I will continue to keep mine, and I myself will become a "criminal" by definition if handguns are outlawed. Hopefully by that point I'm either dead or living somewhere else.

4. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Sure, criminals do have them, but the solution is not making more and more, but to start slowly taking them off the streets and changing this gun culture mentality for the next generations.

5. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

These are my thoughts, too... and not just the media. I have been seeing what happens with people like Pelosi... *every* time there's a shooting, instead of just offering condolences, she goes on her preaching spree about gun control. I swear I don't know why some congress-people's constituents keep voting them in!

Like does she REALLY think the people doing these killings are going to "follow the rules"?! Sheesh, they're going to get guns illegally or from places that aren't doing the background checks right like they do now. Helllllllllllo! The lack of reasoning power in some people just to be sure to kiss up to party lines is unbelievable, isn't it?

Is it election time yet? :mad:

6. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

So do knives and rat poison and meth and even hands. Can't get rid of knives because some unbalanced person decides to use it as a weapon now can we? How would you butter your bread? :rolleyes:

I guess we could ban all rat poison but by golly, people would start making their own. And meth labs? Well they kill every day... and there's collateral damage when they blow up. Can't even outlaw those because they're not legal to begin with. Guns kill in the same wrong hands that knives will kill if there's a killer holding it. I suppose even a letter opener or a glass baby bottle could kill if a KILLER is using it.

Agree, Peninha?

7. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I don't think the fact that it's a part of US history can be any justification for them, Racism and Slavery were also a part of the history and we've moved past it.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

We were given the right to have them by the Constitution. You try to take mine away, I'm gonna use it on you. :)

The only time you'll take them away from a few criminals here and there is when a criminal gets busted with one in their possession here and there. Mass confiscation is unconstitutional and won't work. They're waking up to that reality in Chicago.

All that liberal theory sounds good but doesn't work in the real world.

Are you also going to ban knives, bats, automobiles, all blunt instruments and power tools, and medications and substances that are deadly if ingested, etc?

If someone decides to kill me and is able to do so, I'd rather be shot than stabbed, beaten to death, or poisoned.

9. DuckHD

DuckHD New Member

The purpose of gun control laws would be to keep guns out of the hands of those that shouldn't have them. But what will probably happen is that the responsible people will get their guns taken away from them while the criminals will do their best to keep them.

10. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Yes... and not just keep the guns they have now... but still obtain them in the same illegal way they get them now. I happen to HATE guns with a fiery passion. They scare me. But I'm not stupid and my constitution gives me the right to bear arms and no one better go messing with my constitution... there's way too much of that going on already. (Oh, and I would love to know how many of the squawkers about this actually own guns themselves.)

The thing that boggles me is when the talking heads spew the line about gun control laws existing to keep guns away from the "bad guys." Really now?! All these people who end up in the news for having done a shooting spree go into a gun store and say "I'm a bad guy and need to register for a gun, please and thank you." I mean, sheesh! They don't FOLLOW laws. They stay under the radar.