Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by soultakerkage, May 18, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with certain cultural changes needing to take place, but I'm guessing that I'm talking about different cultures and different changes from what you are. And the changes don't include doing away with the 2nd Amendment.

2. Sam Tarly

Sam Tarly Member

I see your point, but you also have to consider how a lot of gun violence, especially the kind we see in schools, is caused by weapons that are legal and are owned by the perpetrator or someone in his/her household. To understand how having more regulatory laws can help reduce gun violence, we should look to Japan who has little to no gun violence and a very through and strict laws regarding gun control. Those who wish to purchase a gun have to go through multiple background checks, a psychological examination, etc.

3. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

That would mean changing our US Constitution, Peninha... very dangerous territory once it would get started. Second amendment... we as Americans have that 2nd amendment "Right to Bear Arms." And our constitutional rights... well, that's one of the best parts of living here.

Something definitely has to be done against gun violence... no one will argue that, I'm sure. But... well they can't go messing with my constitution because it's the backbone of America. I have a lot of ancestors and relatives, long ago and more recent, who died to make sure I have those rights... I'd rather not mock their sacrifices.

4. JR Ewing

Guns need to be locked away and kept out of reach from kids. And we really need to look at WHY these people are flipping out like this - they'll just start stabbing, poisoning, bombing people, etc if they can't get access to guns.

5. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

I second you on that one, that would be a better way to have gun control, since there are many illegal guns that people have access to , so if they can come up with a tracking system the way you are saying, it might just help gun control.

6. JR Ewing

The mayor of Chicago is now blaming the rash of street gang murders on guns obtained legally in other jurisdictions, and is calling for the rest of the country to ban them also now. :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid he points out the actual root causes of the problem and proposes things be done about those things.

7. healthandfitness

healthandfitness Well-Known Member

Outlaws will be outlaws. . . So if you pass a law to take guns away,it is likely that the outlaws will be the only armed citizens around. People that wish to cause harm will always find a means to do so no matter what the "authorities" say or feel about it.

8. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

9. hun10sta

hun10sta Member

My stance is that a firearm is a tool. If someone wants to kill someone for whatever reason, a firearm is a good means to accomplish such a task. Banning the firearms will simply cause people wanting to shoot someone to find another tool. Instead, we should focus on solving the root causes of WHY someone wants to shoot someone in the first place. That would be a better plan than trying to take away the rights of citizens in the US.

10. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Yes, yes, yes! I constantly wonder why more people don't see this. Now this may not be a popular answer, but I have personally *seen* teenagers especially (but sometimes rather older individuals)... well, for lack of a better term "turn violent" after playing computer games where they're having to shoot people, see the blood, etc.

I know there are people who say games don't make killers, but I think it desensitizes them and that can be very dangerous. Many of the mass shootings we've seen had the killers very much into shoot-em-up games. Of course it doesn't affect *everyone* that way, but when looking how to stop it without taking away constitutional rights, it *is* a good place to start.

Should we really be sitting our teens and preteens down with a computer screen and mouse and cheering when they blow someone's head off? :(