Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Corzhens, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

In the recent incident involving a former reporter of a radio network who killed on the spot another reporter and the cameraman, there is a motion for stricter gun control, not only in America but also in the Philippines. My take on the gun is to have a TOTAL gun ban so no one could sport a gun except for the cops and other authorized officers. However, the peace and order should be on a high level otherwise the purpose is defeated.

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Realistically, in the USA a total gun ban will never be possible for all the reasons, pro and con, that have been rehashed in the media forever. The Second Amendment to the Constitution will never be repealed, period, end of story.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Yup, I agree. There is no way anyone will be able to but a total ban on guns. Changing the constitution is not happening either. Even stricter guidelines to acquiring a permit to buy and carry one will not stop the flow of guns flowing through the US. Even if by chance they do stop selling them, guns will flow in from other places and that will be a bigger black market than it already is now.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Indeed, firearm ownership is a fundamental, Constitutionally protected right in this country. Even it wasn't, the total removal of guns at this point is an absolute impossibility. And, to be blunt, virtually all firearms in this country are not used in crime.

5. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

When it comes down to you know a ban on guns is definitely possible right? I mean it happened in Switzerland and Denmark then why not in the US? People love their guns so much they're willing to take chances when it comes to those who use it for crime stating that there will always be crime with or without guns. I say when we remove guns from the equation altogether then we can reduce crime but no one's gonna back that up because people think it's a pipe dream that no amount of demonstrations can topple over. (Ever heard of the People Power Revolution? The non-violent demonstrations in India? Anything is possible if we all want it.)

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The best we can hope for is that stricter gun laws would be passed but that criminals will obtain guns illegally anyway. So would such laws help? I doubt it. In fact talk about it would prompt people to stock up on firearms and ammo just in case . . .

7. Sjfalcigno

Sjfalcigno New Member

That's your problem...we DON'T all want it. So, the only way you're going to get the guns is to engage in one helluva bloody war in which every gun owner must be killed or captured. Seeing as how 80% of the population has guns...Good luck with that.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Most firearm crimes are committed with illegal firearms. The govt will never, ever succeed in getting a large % of the illegal firearms off the streets.

Govt might someday conceivably through force and leftist propaganda manage to get most legal firearms, but two problems will arise: 1) Some law-abiding firearm owners will refuse to give theirs up and become "criminals"; and 2) Law abiding citizens will become sitting ducks for the large number of criminals who are still armed.

I hope I'm long gone before we ever see such a day, but if not, I'll become a "criminal" by definition.

9. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

It is simple common sense. The more people who have guns in society, the more they will have a false sense of confidence and security which equals more deaths. The best solution is to completely ban all the guns in the country except in the police force. I don't think there will come a time when USA will be invaded by enemies and it will be left on the citizens to protect themselves. That is unlikely to happen except in a video game or movie and even if it ever happens, then there will be lot of gun supply like in every war.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

You're delusional if you think the bad guys will abide by the gun ban, and that the police will be able to protect the unarmed people from the armed bad guys.