Has technology become a problem?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rosyrain, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Within my circle of lady friends there has been an epidemic of emotional and text cheating going around, and I can't help but think it is because technology is always at our fingertips and is easy to use these days. Do you think technology will be the cause of the end of long term relationships?

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I think the main problem with technology that society in general has gotten detached from talking to people in person. Not to long ago I saw a family out in a restaurant eating. You would think that they would be eating and talking to each other, and trying to connect on a intimate level. But nope. Only the dad was still eating while his 3 kids and wife was there texting on there phone. I'm not talking about a quick text and then back to the conversation again. They were on there for about 20 minutes before the dad paid the bill and they all left.

So it seems to me that technology has taken over the personal relationships that people have when they are face to face, and intimacy is now but a mass text to everyone saying "good morning".

3. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I don't know. Technology is also helping a lot of long-term relationships these days by communicating even in long distances through skype, viber, facebook etc.

Technology serves to amplify the qualities we already possess so if you're really anti-social or friendly it's going to be apparent in your use of social media, cellphones and the like.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The problem isn't technology. Where love exists nothing can separate a couple. People have unrealistic expectations and the moment they discover they were wrong about someone [s/he isn't as great as they thought] their love for that person will begin to fade. And once it does, technology makes it a lot easier to find replacements for that person [who is no longer loved].

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I wouldn't necessarily blame technology, it just makes it easier but the real problem is society these days, and it seems that people don't have the morals that they used to.

Cheating is cheating, wether that's face to face or over a messaging app or social media, just because it's done over technology, doesn't make it any less wrong.

6. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I think technology has definitely given people an easier and more accessible platform to do wrong on. It has created as many problems as it has good.

7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I guess that morals have degraded over time and vows and commitment do not mean as much to people as they used to. Technology does ale it easier for people to be unfaithful. I have to noticed how people go on family outings now and just stay on their phones the whole time. We all need to get back to what really matters in life...our loved ones.

8. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

As far as long term relationships go, I think technology is less damaging than in other types of relationships, but there does seem to be quite a few damaging effects of the widespread use of technology. People don't seem to be able to talk to each other as well as we used to be able to. This is really noticeable with the younger generation as they move into the work force. Their social skills are severely lacking and it seems to be having a significant effect on their ability to perform in a work environment, especially in a service oriented profession.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

With the rise in technology, I also think it's given people the opportunity to be something they're not, this also doesn't help when it comes to relationships.

Many people are a different person online to what they are in person. Being sat behind a computer screen allows them to be somebody else, and if you feel like you have two separate lives, your even more tempted to have separate relationships aswell.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

From what I had observed in social media, there are many relationships formed by their association in online chat. Especially with the skype where they can see each other, I have known of people in distant places to have a relationship via skype. One is a British and Filipina who met in online and now they are personally seeing each other when the British came to the Philippines for a visit. For me, I don't think that is a healthy way of getting into a relationship. The best is still the traditional way of meeting personally.