Have a Comcast home alarm system? It's vunerable.

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Jan 6, 2016.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/05/comcast_home_alarms_jammed/

You may want to buy a more secure alarm system, and dump the $CMCSA system. It can be easily disabled, and take hours to recover. I can just imagine customer service stumbling through a unhappy customer phone call. Can't make this stuff up.

2. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Didn't some White Hat hacker figure out a while ago that most remote security devices for home garages only operated a 4-bit code or something, which is actually fairly is easy to crack with a simple algorithm? I think he used a hacked kid's toy to disable the system, then put the source code and instructions on how to do it out into the public so that the security companies had to patch it up. Take home message: nothing that is networked is truly safe.

3. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

LOL Comcast can't seem to do anything right, can it??

4. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

I didn't even know Comcast had security systems, but this doesn't surprise me. I've never heard anything but bad reviews about their service in general.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Perhaps you, like I, don't pay attention to the relentless TV commercials: http://www.xfinity.com/home-security :)

6. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

That's pretty scary. My parents security system is through comcast and their internet and everything. Comcast needs to get their stuff together, what in the world.