Have any of you invested in BitCoin?

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by JulianWilliams, Jan 16, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Despite reading numerous articles and watching TV shows by those "in the know" I could never wrap my old mind around the bitcoin mechanics. Illogical per Mr. Spock. Add in the price volatility, liquidity and the thefts of bitcoin wallets, and it's definitely not for me.

2. Andre_

Andre_ Member

Just like you don't need to understand how a combustion engine works to drive a car, you don't need to understand "bitcoin mechanics" to use bitcoin. You can use it like you use cash, you use it peer-to-peer without the need of a third party. And it's modelled after gold, it becomes progressively more and more difficult to mint new currency. Only, unlike cash you can back it up, and unlike gold it's just information opposed to physical matter. The latter is awesome, because it allows you to send it via Internet. :cool:

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Appreciate the feedback. I was referring to mechanics as where to buy, bank and convert et al. To me illogical and not worth the effort to run up the learning curve. Different strokes, cash works for me unless I need some kind of travel reservations. But that's me.

4. Andre_

Andre_ Member

Okay. You can buy easily buy bitcoin at

Exchanges:
    • Bitfinex
    • Bitstamp
    • Kraken
    • ItBit
    • Coinbase
    • ANX
    Brokers
    • Circle
    • Coinbase
    • Bitonic
    Peer-to-peer
    • Localbitcoins
    • Paxful
    Or at a bitcoin ATM near you.

Whether it's worth the effort depends how much money you can save with it.

5. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

I haven't invested in BitCoin but I have heard a lot of talk about it. I don't think I'll ever invest in BitCoin I don't think it's trustworthy.

6. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Currencies are not a very good investment, they offer little long term growth.
    Bitcoin is a currency.
    If you are smart and savvy you can make money of bitcoin the same as forex, but it's not like a stock where you can buy and hold.
    If you are interested in BTC, look for ways to earn it, there are lots!

7. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

I don't think Bitcoin would make for a good investment. The variables producing its value are too unpredictable. Bitcoin in my eyes will stay around due to the lack of need for bank involvement in transactions. For this very reason hackers can clean out accounts to a Paypal, purchase as many Bitcoin as possible, and then transfer the Bitcoin to their real Bitcoin wallet without leaving a paper trail. This discretion is why I believe Bitcoin will be here to linger. Purchasing Bitcoin as an investment would seem too risky for me without a reasonable hedge.

8. 111kg

111kg Guest

I don't plan to invest in Bitcoin. However, I accept payments in Bitcoin for my freelancing services. Although I exchange 75% of my earnings on kraken.com, I have a relatively small amount of Bitcoin left in one of my wallets, that I plan to sell once it reaches $300.

9. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I just am not really sure Bitcoin is on the level, although I know Amazon will issue digital gift cards based on Bitcoin and some places will accept them as payment. I just know that the owner of the Bitcoin exchange was arrested for artificially inflating currency, so I really don't think it can be trusted as safe and legit currency. It is not backed by the federal govt either.

10. thorax11

thorax11 New Member

Bitcoin is becoming a part of our financial future one way or the other. Major financial institutions are using the blockchain technology which is the backbone of Bitcoin to create new channels of financial distribution. Bitcoin ATM's are being installed in various countries. You can even buy physical gold with Bitcoin currency. This is not just a fad but a fork in the road to an alternative way to buy and sell goods or services.