Have the terrorist attacks made you apprehensive about religion?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Alex, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Before the terrorist attacks of 9/11 I wasn't really aware of Muslims and what their religion was about, even though I had a few Muslim friends. As the terrorists try to link it to religion, does it make you more apprehensive about religion in general; that people will use it as a means of justifying their actions?

Maybe that was their goal, but surely religion is about deciding what religion suits someone, just as people choose to eat meat or not?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I was doing Religious Education at school and went to a CoE school to begin with before the attacks happened so I was already open to religions but I admit I did not know as much as I should have. After the attacks it did make me question things a lot and after some studying it put me off religion a bit, as in following one.

Over the years though I've found that the extremists alter and twist their religion so it suits their ideals of what they want to do.

3. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

I believe, It has to do nothing with any religion, In previous comments, I wrote, Followers of Religion bring shame to their own religion. In world, there is 1 common class, ideology or mentality. staying poor, uneducated and moron etc. their have pride of that, this class like easy ways. they want everything free. their ideology based on words jealousy and revenge.

In my language, 1 proverb, To teach you something, If better educated, moralistic person slap you for your mistakes, that's better than group of morons praise you.

this class in world believes, their moronic ego, their weakness is their true strength and for that, they can cross any limit. they don't feel shame to involve God in their crazy activities.

about Religious people, they never get involved in such class or their crazy activities. such morons, more or less, exist in all religions. 'masochist' this word suits them perfect.

religions are made for all humans, It can't be a property of 1 person, that's why today we have different religions and true religious people respect each other's religion, rather than proving, my religion is better than yours. 'masochist' their belief is what we do that's religion. slavery based mentality, still exist in world. In past, there were color based, caste based slaves. Today, you can say, there are economic slaves.

some people use brain, some don't. who don't use brain, they are slaves. Individually, How much to improvise myself in path of religion or God ? it's everybody's personal choice. some people likes easy life and for that, their job is creating challenges for tough or religious guys. this is unwritten truth of system. nobody can end this, but we can reduce impact of this. if world have more religions and more religious people.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Well, it's not necessarily the case for me. I do think there are bad Christians, just as there are bad Muslims. There are terrorists that are Muslim but there are also terrorists that are Catholics. The thing is, people commit crimes regardless of their religion. And to justify a crime because of your religion is unacceptable, I don't think any religion allows murder, rape, torture or abuse.

There may be people who commit crimes too without a religion. So it's entirely up to the person's morals whether he or she will commit a crime or an act of terrorism. Religion isn't something that dictates us to do so. It speaks of that person's values, not the religion of where he or she came from, at least for me.

5. phoenix2015

phoenix2015 Well-Known Member

Have the recent Radical Muslim terrorist attacks of innocent people made apprehensive about religion? No. I think religion has provided more hope and good in the world than not. We can not let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. We can not throw out the baby with the bath water. Some crazy unemployed angry fruitcakes on the other side of the world who decide they don't like the way things are, so lets kill people and blow them up, should be found and destroyed, like ants at a pic-nic. We can not let these people destroy our faith in something beautiful and good.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The terrorist attacks have thrust Islam right into the spotlight where everyone can scrutinize it and many people make the wrong assumption that Islam teaches intolerance. Religious texts can be interpreted in numerous ways and opportunists who want support from other religious people will use those texts in whatever way they please.

Christians forget the bible has similar texts. An eye for an eye. Hate your enemy but love your neighbor. Jesus taught his disciples to love everyone. See? While the old text advocated for hating enemies, Jesus taught love. The same could be said of Islam. What might have been used to rally Muslims to fight a long time ago shouldn't because no one is fighting against Islam anymore.

Though the terrorists claim they are doing whatever they do in the name of Islam that shouldn't make anyone hate religion because when we examine the motives of the terrorists and what they really want, we'll find that they use religion for selfish purposes.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I've always considered religion to be a topic people don't discuss (maybe it's a British thing) so I am apprehensive when someone is radical or openly discusses their religion without being prompted.

Isn't that an indication of someone who is brainwashed? On the other hand some keep it quiet too, but their actions may reveal how religious they are. I believe in tolerance, so if a friend is eating a bacon sandwich should it offend a Muslim if they are out having breakfast together. That to me is extreme, and it make me wary of people.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

The problem seems to be that everybody is afraid to say out load, what we all know, and Muslims, even though they are radical Muslims and might not represent all Muslims, ARE the ones that are carrying out these attacks.

It's alright saying that other religions religious teachings are similar to what can be found in Islam, when was the last time a Christian or Jew chopped off people heads or massacred dozens in the name of their religion recently?

9. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Although some might link certain acts of crime and terror with religion, I personally have never attributed these things with any kind of religion. It is wrong to generalize that all Muslims are the same as terrorist groups who interpret their religion literally, same as generalizing that all Christians are not capable of committing acts of terror and violence.

10. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

There is only one true God. The God of the Bible. Islam is run by satan and his violence. They are incredibly blinded.