Have You Been Deceived Online?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Muthoni, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

The internet has opened many lucrative doors for many. It has also provided the perfect platform for con men due to that fact that they can remain anonymous. I have been deceived when dealing with someone online, I am just thankful that I did not lose any money. What about you?

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

There are always phonies on message boards who end up revealing themselves as such sooner or later. :D

And more unfortunately, there are always the odd crooks and scammers here and there. It's best to stick to reputable, well-known companies when dealing with any dollar amounts or personal info online.

I've heard of people being scammed on E-bay, but I've never heard of any problems with Amazon, who I've personally used myself for small purchases over the years. I especially like Amazon's method of being able to see a seller's track record.

3. ormaybeso

ormaybeso Well-Known Member

Once or twice yes, there are all sorts of scams that offer you free programs, infected torrents, people pretending to be someone they're not (the worst kind in my opinion). That's why you always have to double check things when you're working online, you never know who's helping and who's out to get you...

4. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

Thankfully, I have never been scammed online, what I have done however, is work my butt off for little or nothing as pay, and lose a whole day of activities in the hope of trying to getting some money, I am hoping for the day when the internet will be a place where you can earn a decent amount of money, not A LOT! but a decent amount, until then..people like myself, will be waiting...waiting, and waiting.

5. Riggy

Riggy New Member

Do virus' and infected torrents count? If so, then yes. If not, I also got scammed by offering to type 1,000 words for someone who offered to give $15 for it. He obviously gave me nothing. After these incidents I have little to no trust with people on the internet anymore. It's a shame how people ruin it for others.

6. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

I'm with the guy above me. If torrents count then yes, many times. If not then no. There's a certain point where online you can just identify and stay away from things like that. I have been enticed by a few but it never takes long before I see that I want to have nothing to do with it. I think they are more geared toward people that don't full understand English or the elderly.

7. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

No...should i count myself lucky?...yes indeed...i attribute this to a cautious bone within me...i still pray i never fall into the wrong hands online however its a different case when it comes to offline matters...in this case i have been numerously scammed. :(

8. Kael

Kael Guest

I can not say that I have been deceived online and I am so thankful to not have that experience. I have seen a couple of episodes of Catfish on MTV. It is surprising the lengths that some people are willing to go in order to deceive each other. I try to be very careful about who I may speak to privately.

9. jason

jason Guest

I have thankfully never lost money when dealing with others online. I try to be careful when the other person has little to no reputation. It's easy to be misguided by others online, even though most are probably trustworthy people.

10. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I have never been deceived online and I've made quite a few purchases. I think that the key is to buy in reliable places and there are many.