Have You Been Deceived Online?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Muthoni, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

The only time I was "deceived" online was on Facebook, someone managed to hack my account and stole some credits from some games, that was all they did. Fortunately I managed to change the password and that was the end of it.

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Did you have any antivirus software like AVG on your computer? I have had viruses but I manage to deal with them with AVG. I never had my Facebook hacked I have been very fortunate to not have that happen.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I've been scammed once and don't think it will happen again. There was some software I'd seen on some site. And since I thought I knew it would be useful to me and it was on sale on that day, I paid $29 for the software. A few weeks later while surfing the web, I landed on the developer's website and found out that the software was FREE though previously [a year or so back] they'd been selling it at $29. Some scammer had made an easy 29 bucks off me.

4. wulfman

wulfman Guest

There are so many scams you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has not fallen for at least one or two. It has nothing to do with being gullible or not being cautious.

5. jdroc

jdroc Guest

Yeah I got deceived probably twice. My eyes got too big and I went in for something I knew wasn't real.

6. Profit5500

What did you go in for that was not real? If you went into going for PTC sites that say they would pay $150 per ad you view I can understand. I mean other folks around here had talked about being scammed by Ebay. I never let my guard down anymore with online gigs I always try to check before doing anything.

7. wulfman

wulfman Guest

How do people get scammed by Ebay? Isn't there a policy in place that says if you do not get the item you requested, you get a refund ? I suppose there are many loop holes to it though and long term sellers that just decide to scam you one day.

8. ally79

ally79 Guest

Actually this happens all of the time. The knock off products have the product logo on them and everything. Fortunately if you pay with PayPal you can file a claim and dispute the charges. In my experience it can take awhile to get the funds back, but you will eventually.

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I have Microsoft Security Essentials and I am happy with it, but in that case it didn't defend me no. I don't know how that was possible, I felt really vulnerable.

10. Profit5500

If anything AVG is better and has protected me against most viruses and malware. I have the free edition of AVG and it is still reliable even in the free stage. There is internet security but you have to make a yearly subscription to maintain it on your computer.